Masala Fada Khichdi (Daliya Khichdi) is one of the khichdi recipe that I often cook at home. Generally khichdi is a rice and lentil dish but here I have used broken wheat (fada) along with yellow moong dal to prepare this dish. Checkout my other recipe of Gujarati khichdi which is a traditional rice and lentil dish.
The broken wheat also known as daliya or fada (Cracked wheat, Dalia, Bulgar, Burghul, Fada, Lapsi, Bulgar Wheat, Couscous) is often used to prepare comfort dishes like daliya lapsi. Its quite nutritional and often prepared during festivals such as navaratri, janmasthami etc. As Broken wheat is made from whole wheat it is quite nutritious and contains fibers and thus often added in healthy diet plans. Compared to rice, broken wheat has much more fiber contain and vitamins and also has a better glycemic index.
This easy masala fada khichdi recipe is a pressure cooker recipe. Usually the broken wheat (fada/daliya) increases the cooking time of dish. So we pressure cook it to reduce overall cooking time.
If you like this masala fada khichdi, do check my other khichdi recipes: moriyo khichdi recipe, sabudana khichdi, gujarati khichdi, sabudana vada and moong dal khichdi.
Let us check step by step recipe of masala fada khichdi (daliya khichdi) with pictures.
Step by step Recipe of Masala Fada Khichdi (Daliya Khichdi)
Here is a quick and easy recipe of masala fada khichdi (daliya khichdi).
Rinse the broken wheat (fada/dahiya) and yellow moong dal thoroughly in running water until the starch is clear. Let the broken wheat & yellow moong dal get soaked in water for 5 to 10 minutes.
We will need few vegetables for this masala fada khichdi (daliya khichdi). Potato, carrot, green peas and onion. Wash the potato and peel off the skin and cut into pieces. Also chop the onion and carrot as shown in below photo. I have used frozen green peas but you can use fresh as well. Also finely chop green chilies, ginger and garlic. That’s it. Feel free to add other ingredients of your choice like boiled corn kernels, mushrooms etc.
Now heat a tablespoon of oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds (rai) and cumin seeds (jeera). Once the spices starts crackling add cinnamon stick (dal chini), cloves (laung) and bay leaf (tej patta).
Throw in the chopped green chilies, ginger and garlic and saute them for a minute.
Once the rawness of garlic / ginger goes away add chopped onions. Mix well and let the onion get saute for a minute till it becomes translucent.
Add chopped vegetables; carrot, potato and green peas. Mix well.
Now add some Indian spices turmeric powder (haldi), red chili powder, coriander powder (dhaniya) and garam masala powder.
Add water and stir well all the ingredients. Also add some salt to taste. After than add soaked yellow mung dal and broken wheat (fada / daliya).
Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook the khichdi for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn off the flame and take the pressure cooker off the gas. Let it gets cool for some time.
The tasty healthy masala fada khichdi (daliya khichdi) is ready to serve. Serve hot along with yogurt, pickle, papadum and Gujarati kadhi.
- Ground wheat (Fada / Daliya): 1/2 cup
- Moong dal: 1/4 cup
- Carrot:1/4 cup, diced
- Potato:1/2 cup, peeled & diced
- Onion:1/2 cup, diced
- Green peas:1/4 cup
- Water:1 1/2 cup
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Ginger:1 tsp chopped
- Garlic:1 tsp chopped
- Green chili:1 tsp chopped
- Cloves (laung):2 piece
- Cinnamon stick (dal chini): 1/2 inch piece
- Bay leaf (kadi patta):1 leaf
- Mustard (rai):1 tsp
- Cumin (jeera): 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi):1/2 tsp
- Garam masala:1 tsp
- Coriander powder (dhaniya):1 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Rinse ground wheat (fada) and moong daal in running water until the starch runs out.
- Wash, peel off the potato skin and cut them into dices. Similarly chop the onions, carrot, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- In a pressure cooker heat a tablespoon of oil and add mustard (rai), cumin seeds (jeera), cinnamon stick (dal chini), bay leaf (tej patta) and cloves (laung).
- Once the spices gets tempered throw in chopped garlic, green chili and ginger.
- Let the ginger get saute for some time till its raw flavor goes away.
- Add chopped onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Throw in chopped vegetables; carrot, potato and green peas.
- Add in Indian spices turmeric powder (haldi), red chili powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder (dhaniya). Mix the ingredients and cook for a minute.
- Now add water to and stir well. Also add fada (ground wheat) and yellow moong dal.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook for 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame.
- Once cooked, turn off the gas and let the pressure cooker rest for another 4-5 minutes.
- Fada Khichdi (Daliya Khichdi) is ready to serve.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.