Gujarati Kadhi Recipe – Kadhi is a famous North Indian dish that resembles to soup. It is basically a dish with thick or thin gravy made from gram flour and yogurt/buttermilk. This is an easy gujarati kadhi recipe. Gujarati kadhi differs from other North Indian variations like Punjabi kadhi, Maharashtrian Kadhi, Rajasthani kadhi etc. It is sweeter in taste and little thinner also. In states like Uttar pradesh and Punjab the kadhi is used as thick gravy for a nice tasty curry called kadhi pakora. Kadhi pakora has fried pakoras (fried fitters) which make it quite heavy to digest yet delicious.
The gujarati kadhi is considered lighter compared to its other north indian counterparts. It is usually eaten along with plain rice, jeera rice or roti/chappati. We often make gujarati kadhi at home and serve it with khichdi and papad or Gujarati pulav. Checkout gujarati khichdi recipe that I prepared with this kadhi. I love this combination Kadhi, Khichdi and Papad. Kadhi/Khichdi is quite traditionally eaten in Gujarat and is one of the dish that is occasionally served in weddings (Even in my wedding we had kadhi/khichdi served during one of the musical night :D).
Related: Maharashtrian Kadhi Recipe
This simple and perfect gujarati kadhi is also served with a plain moong dal khichdi. Like many Gujarati recipes, gujarati kadhi as I mentioned earlier is sweeter. Sugar or Jaggery is added in order to make it sweet. You can adjust the sweetness according to your taste. But Gujarati people really like their kadhi to be sweeter.
This is a quick and easy Gujarati kadhi recipe. It takes around 20-25 min to prepare it from scratch. Let us check this gujarati kadhi recipe.
Step by step Gujarati Kadhi recipe with photos
1. In a bowl take yogurt and add water to it and whisk it. Basically we are making buttermilk from yogurt to prepare the base of kadhi. Alternatively if you have buttermilk you can directly use that too.
2. Add a tablespoon of gram flour (chickpea flour / besan) in butter milk mixture and whisk it thoroughly to remove any lumps.
3. For tempering, heat a tablespoon of clarified butter (ghee) in a pan and temper the dry spices: fenugreek seeds (methi), cumin seeds (jeera), mustard seeds (rai), cinnamon (dalchini), clove (laung). Also add green curry leaves, chopped ginger, pinch of asafoetida and dry red chili in ghee. Now add slowly the kadhi mix on tempered spices and stir well. Let the kadhi get cooked on high flame till it gets boiled once. To avoid the kadhi from disintegrating/separating stir it continuously till it get boiled once.
Let the kadhi get simmer for 3-4 minutes. Gujarati kadhi is ready to serve. Garnish the kadhi with some fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) and serve it hot with khichdi, plain rice, jeera rice etc.
Some Tips to Make Best Gujarati Kadhi
- Use sour curd / yogurt or buttermilk when you make this kadhi. Sourness gives the authentic taste to Gujarati kadhi.
- Once you add yogurt/gram flour mix into tempered spices, stir it continuously till it get boiled once to avoid kadhi from getting seperated/disintegrated.
- To give slight yellow color to gujarati kadhi, add half a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi) in tempered spices.
- Instead of adding sugar to gujarati kadhi add some jaggery. It is a healthier option and it balance the sourness of curd.
- Kadhi is excellent home remedy for cough and cold. Make sure you add a little garlic if you are making this kadhi to reduce cold or cough.
- If kadhi is thicker, add water and let it simmer for some time to correct the consistency. Similarly if kadhi is thinner add more gram flour/besan.
- Curd or Yogurt : 1/2 cup
- Gram flour (besan) : 1 tbsp
- Water : 2 cups
- Clarified butter (ghee) : 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) : 1/2 tsp
- Ginger : 1/2 inch, grated
- Clove (laung) : 3 pieces
- Cinnamon (dalchini) : 1 inch stick
- Fenugreek seeds (methi) : 1 tsp
- Turmeric : 1/4 tsp (optional) to give yellow color
- Curry leaves : 5 leaves
- Dry red chili : 1 piece
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/4 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tbsp to taste
- Salt: 1 tsp or to taste
- Whisk the curd/yogurt in a bowl along with water.
- Add a tablespoon of gram flour (besan) and mix it blend the mixture using hand blender or whisk it rigorously.
- Heat some clarified butter (ghee) in a pan and temper all dried spices: Cinnamon, Fenugreek seeds (methi), cumin seeds, clove, dry red chili, curry leaves, pinch of asafoetida and grated ginger.
- Pour the whisked yogurt/gram flour mixture on top of tempered spices and stir is till it gets boiled.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi) to give slight yellow color to the kadhi. Also add sugar and salt to taste.
- Reduce the water till kadhi get its right consistency.
- Gujarati kadhi is ready to serve. Serve hot with khichdi.