Fada lapsi recipe (Gujarati Daliya Lapsi): Lapsi is a dessert/sweet dish famous in western Indian especially in state of Gujarat. It is often made during festivals like navaratri, janmasthmi, diwali, dhanteras etc. Also this sweet dish is cooked when moving into new home or during days like grah shanti. This recipe was served as a dessert dish during my wedding! ^_^
The fada lapsi taste amazing as combination of broken wheat and cardamom. Often jaggery and milk is used in the preparation but I like simple old traditional recipe of adding water and sugar.
It is also possible to make fada lapsi in pressure cooker to reduce its cooking time. However try once making it without and see how different it tastes. Also a lot of people make this sweet dish in microwave again to minimize the cooking time. Feel free to experiment different cooking techniques.
Let us check step by step recipe with pictures of Gujarati Fada lapsi.
p.s. Also check my other Gujarati sweet dish recipe of Puran puri.
Step by step Fada Lapsi Recipe (Gujarati Fada Lapsi)
In a thick bottom non-stick pan/kadhai take a tablespoon of clarified butter (ghee) and melt it.
Once the ghee melts add ground wheat (fada / daliya) and mix it well.
Cook the ground wheat (fada) in ghee for 5 to 7 minutes until the color changes to whitish.
Now pour warm water (gunguna pani) into fada. By adding lukewarm water makes the fada lapsi soft and smooth in texture.
After adding water its time to add sugar. Add around 2 tablespoon of sugar into the fada lapsi mixture and mix until sugar melts.
Cardamom give that great taste to this dessert dish. Peel off 2-3 pods and remove the cardamom seeds. Also for garnishing take around a tablespoon of mix dry fruits (cashew nuts, almond, kissmiss etc) and slivered it.
Taste the fada lapsi using a spoon to check if it is well cooked. Once cooked add cardamom powder and dry fruits and mix well.
The tasty fada lapsi is ready to serve. Serve it hot.
- Clarified butter (ghee): 1 tbsp
- Ground wheat (Fada / Daliya): 1/2 cup
- Cardamom (elaichi): 1/2 tsp, powdered
- Mix dry fruits: 1 tbsp, for garnishing
- Sugar: 2 tbsp (to taste)
- Water: 1 1/2 cup
- In a non-stick deep pan take clarified butter (ghee) and ground wheat (fada) and roast for 5 to 7 minutes on low flame till its color changes to white.
- Add lukewarm water and mix it well.
- Now add sugar to water and ground wheat mixture.
- Cook on low flame until all the water is soaked. This may take around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once water is soaked add cardamom powder and mix everything well.
- To garnish add dry fruits (slivered) on top and serve hot.
2. Add one part milk one part water while boiling to make the fada lapsi richer.
3. You can make fada lapsi in pressure cooker to reduce cooking time.
4. Store left over fada lapsi in refrigerator. Pre-heat it next day in a kadhi before serving.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.