Gujarati Khichdi Recipe – Khichdi is a common Indian dish made from rice and lentils. Its famous across India and hundreds of variations of this dish is prepared in all parts of India. One of the variation is Gujarati Khichdi. Gujarati Khichdi is considered to be a comfort food, easy to digest and nutritious. For vegetarians this is considered to be one of the good source of protein. Khichdi is easy to make at home without any hassle. Just pressure cook all the lentils and rice in a cooker. Alternatively we can add tempered spices/tadka to the khichdi. Without tadka this khichdi is called Saadi Khichdi in Gujarat. Here I have tempered the spices in clarified butter (ghee) and then added it to khichdi. It gives really nice flavors to our gujarati khichdi.
Khichdi is usually served along with some curd/yogurt, chaas (buttermilk), pickle, papad (appalaum /papadum) and kadhi. Checkout the Gujarati Kadhi recipe that I prepared with this khichdi. I love the combination of kadhi and khichdi. Some people in Gujarat also eat Khichdi with milk! Personally I don’t like that combination but my dad love it and always have khichdi with milk 🙂
This Gujarati khichdi is a pressure cooker recipe. Although you can boil Gujarati Khichdi in a pan but it would take lot of time. Pressure cooker make life easy.
This Gujarati khichdi recipe cannot be consumed during fasts (navaratri or ekadashi). There is yet another version of Gujarati khichdi made from Moriya (also known as Indian barnyard millet, saro, vari etc). Check moriya khichdi recipe (farali khichdi) that is usually served with farali kadhi (vrat ki kadhi).
Let us check the quick and easy gujarati khichdi recipe.
Step by step Gujarati Khichdi recipe
For this khichdi we will need rice and lentils: green mung dal(green gram), chana dal (bengal split gram), toor dal (pigeon peas split). Rinse the rice and lentils under running water and wash them thoroughly.
In a pressure cooker, heat a teaspoon of clarified butter (ghee) and some oil. Add cloves (laung / lavang), cinnamon (dalchini), bay leaf (tej patta), dry red chili, cumin seeds (jeera), asafoetida (hing) and let the seeds crackle.
Once the spices are tempered, add rice and lentils in pressure cooker. Pour some water, add turmeric powder (haldi) and salt to taste. Mix everything well and check the seasoning and add some salt if required. Now close the lid of pressure cooker and cook the khichdi on low flame for around 20 minutes. After that turn off the gas and let the cooker get cooled a bit before opening. Gujarati khichdi is ready!
Gujarati khichdi is ready to serve. Pour some clarified butter (ghee) on top of khichdi and serve it with curd/yogurt, chaas (buttermilk), pickle, papad and gujarati kadhi.
- Rice : 1/2 cup
- Green mung dal (green gram) : 1/4 cup
- Chana dal (bengal split gram) : 1/4 cup
- Toor dal (pigeon peas split) : 1/4 cup
- Clarified butter (ghee) : 1 tsp
- Oil : 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Cinnamon (dalchini) : 1/2 inch piece
- Bay leaves (tej patta) : 1 piece
- Clove (laung / lavang) : 2 piece
- Turmeric powder (haldi) : 1 tsp
- Water : 2 cups
- Dry red chili : 1 piece
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/4 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- In a pressure cooker, heat a teaspoon of clarified butter (ghee) and oil.
- Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, dry red chili, cumin seeds, asafoetida and let the seeds crackle.
- Now add rice and all lentils in pressure cooker.
- Add water, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix everything well and pressure cook the khichdi for 20 minutes on low flame.
- Serve the khichdi hot with some clarified butter (ghee) on top and with kadhi.