Beetroot Poriyal Recipe – A delicious South Indian side dish of stir-fried beetroot with freshly grated coconut.
After a long time I am sharing a south indian poriyal recipe. That’s because lately I have not been cooking poriyals that often. Our most loved south indian dishes are sambar rice and sambar / dosa. Every weekend we have sambar and rice for sure. Mostly saturday is booked for a traditional gujju one pot dish dal dhokli and on sunday we have sambar rice. So it seems I have not been cooking poriyals lately.
The other day I went to buy veggies from local grocery and found these beetroots that were firm and hard. I guess the soft ones are not fresh. I always try to pick the hard ones which remains fresh for long as they have longer shelf life. Anyways so I make a lot of dishes using beetroot. Normally we just cut the beetroot and eat it as salad in afternoon lunch. Also I make beetroot raita that goes really well with phulka and sabzi. And then it clicked me that I haven’t made poriyal so lets make south indian beetroot poriyal today.
Poriyals are nothing but South Indian side dish that is made in no time by quickly stir-frying vegetables in tempered spices and garnished with fresh grated coconut. In a typical South Indian meal you will definitely find a poriyal dish. The most common ones are potato poriyal and cabbage poriyal. Poriyal dish goes really well with different Rice preparations.
Let us check the quick and easy South Indian Beetroot Poriyal recipe.
Recipe of South Indian Beetroot Poriyal with step by step pictures
To make delicious beetroot poriyal we will need very few ingredients like: beetroot (chukander), grated coconut, curry leaves, green chilies, mustard seeds, hing (asafoeitda), urad dal (white lentil), oil and salt.
First peal the beetroot and cut into small pieces. Slit the green chilies and grate the cococnut.
Heat a frying pan and add oil into it. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds (rai).
As mustard (rai) starts crackling add hing (asafoetida).
Also add curry leaves in oil. Be careful as curry leaves might flutters hard. In this step you can also add urad dal (white lentil).
Add green chilies and give a good stir and let it cook for 10-20 seconds.
Now add chopped beetroot (chukandar).
Mix well the beetroot with green chilies and curry leaves.
Let the beetroot gets cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add salt as per your taste.
Give a stir and mix salt in poriyal. Let the beetroot gets cooked for additional 3-4 minutes.
Now add grated coconut in poriyal and mix well.
Cook for 30-40 seconds and that’s it. Delicious South Indian style beetroot poriyal is ready to serve.
South Indian Beetroot Poriyal Recipe
- Beetroot: 2 medium
- Green chilies: 1 piece
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal: 1 tsp
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Curry leaves: 6 leaves
- Hing: 1/8 tsp
- Grated fresh coconut: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Peel the beetroot and cut into small pieces.
- Slit the green chilies and grate the coconut.
- Heat oil in a pan and once the oil is hot add mustard seeds (rai).
- Add urad dal (white lentil) and saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Once the mustard starts crackling add hing (asafoetida).
- Now add curry leaves and green chilies and saute for 20-30 seconds.
- Add finely chopped beetroot in oil and quickly stir fry them for 1-2 minutes.
- Season the poriyal now. Add salt as per your taste. Mix well and cook poriyal for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the beetroot turns soft, add grated coconut and mix well.
- Cook the beetroot poriyal for another minute.
- Delicious south indian beetroot poriyal is ready to serve. Serve this poriyal as side dish along with any south indian main course.
Other South Indian Poriyal Recipes
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.