Green Beans Coconut Poriyal – Here is a quick recipe that you can prepare in no time and yet add nice color and flavor to your South Indian feast. If you are planning to cook South Indian food for family or friends, I highly recommend one of the poriyals as side dish. There are many different varieties of poriyals; my favourite is potato poriyal. South Indian Poriyals are easy to make. Any vegetable can be quickly sauted along with some spices and add grated coconut to prepare Poriyal. You can make tindli poriyal, okra poriyal, beetroot poriyal, cabbage poriyal etc. Do prepare these poriyals and serve them hot along with sambar rice, lemon rice etc.
Green Beans Coconut Poriyal Recipe
1. Chop the green bean and grate the fresh coconut . In case fresh coconut is not available you can use dry coconut also.
2.Heat the oil in a pan and add chana dal and urad dal. When the color changes add the pinch of asafoetida (hing), mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chili and let it temper. Add chopped green beans and cook for some time then add grated coconut, turmeric powder,red chili powder, salt to taste and sambar masala. Mix everything well and cook for about 2 min.
3. Now the beans poriyal is ready. You can serve this poriyal with sambar rice, rasam rice, lemon rice etc.
- Green beans: 2 cup, chopped
- Coconut grated: 2 tbsp, grated
- Dry red chili: 1 piece
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai): 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera): 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi): 1 tsp
- Red chili powder (optional): 1 tsp
- Sambar masala: 1 tsp
- Chana dal (Split Bengal Gram): 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal (black gram): 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/4 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- In a pan heat the oil and add chana dal and urad dal when the color of the dal changes slightly add pinch of asafoetida (hing), mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chili and let it temper.
- Add the chopped green beans and let it cook for some time and then add grated coconut, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sambar masala and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients well and cook for about 2 min.
- Green beans coconut poriyal is now ready to serve.