Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe – Let me share with you one of my all time favorite Gujarati dish. Simple and easy to cook Dal dhokli is a perfect combination of spiced whole wheat flour dhoklis simmered in Gujarati dal. Dal dhokli is my break-the-routine recipe which I make on weekend mostly Sunday. On Sunday we all sit together for a meal and enjoy this deliciously mouth watering dish. I call it Gujarati pasta dish in a lentil sauce 😛
For this recipe of dal dhokli I have made dhoklis by adding more spices but you can make plain dhoklis by just adding usual spices like red chili, turmeric, coriander powder etc. Also traditionally the dhoklis are not cooked but added directly to dal and then cooked with dal. This makes them a little soggy and gummy. Hence I like to semi-roast them on a pan before adding them to dal. If dhokli is less moist then they wont stick to each other while we put in dal.
Like many Gujarati dishes, Dal dhokli also has a little sweet taste. The sweetness is attributed to jaggery or sugar. You can add any kind of sweetness you like or also avoid if you want. Dal dhoklis have sweet and nutty flavor thanks to jagerry and peanuts. I love peanuts. I personally think by adding peanuts in this dish we lift it to a whole new level.
Dal dhokli can certainly be classified as a one-dish meal, but you could also serve it with boiled rice to make it all the more tasty and wholesome.
Before we dig deeper into recipe of dal dhokli let us quickly check some tips that can help you to make perfect dal dhoklis.
Tips to make good dal dhokli
- When you make the dhokli roast them on hot tawa on both sides. By doing this your dhokli will not stick to each other and will not taste raw when added to dal.
- Let your dal be little watery. This is because when you add dhokli to dal and cook the dal will become thicker.
- When the dal is nicely boiling at that time add the dhokli so that the dhokli will not stick to each other.
Alternate method to make dal dhokli with left over dal
So you have some left over dal sitting in refrigerator and you are not sure what to do with it! No problem. Dal dhokli is at rescue. Take the dal out of refrigerator and let it come to the room temperature. Heat the dal by adding some water and let it boils once and add dhokli in it. To prepare dhokli follow these simple steps.
Step by step Recipe of Gujarati Dal Dhokli
Let us start with step by step recipe of Guajrati Dal dhokli with pictures. I have tried to document each and every steps that goes in making this delicious Gujarati dish. But trust me its not that hard. Just try to follow these steps and you will have a perfect dal dhokli. The dal dhokli recipe is split into two parts. First is making the dhoklis from wheat flour and next is preparing Gujarati dal. Let us check recipe now.
1. To Make Dhokli of Gujarati Dal Dhokli
Traditionally dhoklis are prepared by adding few spices in a wheat flour and kneading it into smooth dough. However for this version of dal dhokli I will add some more ingredients that makes dhokli really stands out and lift its taste.
For dhokli we will use peanut, sesame seeds, grated ginger, garlic and some garam masala. Also we will add some red chili powder and turmeric powder.
2. To Make Dal of Gujarati Dal Dhokli
To prepare the dal of dal dhokli the main ingredient we will use is tuvar dal (toor dal).
Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe details below:
- Wheat flour:2 cups
- Peanut:1/3 cup, powdered
- Sesame seeds:1/4 cup, powdered
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala:1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder:1 tsp
- Ginger:1 tsp, grated
- Garlic: 1 tsp, grated
- Oil:1 tbsp
- Water:1/2 cup
- Salt: to taste
- Toor dal:1 cup, boiled
- Oil:1 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick: 1/2 inch
- Cloves: 3 piece
- Mustard seeds:1 tsp
- Cumin seeds:1 tsp
- Tomato: 1/2 cup, chopped
- Ginger: 1 tsp , chopped
- Green chilies:1 piece, chopped
- Curry leaves: 5 leaves
- Peanut: 1/4 cup (optional)
- Turmeric powder:1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder:1 tsp
- lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Sugar or jaggery: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (cilantro):1/2 cup, chopped
- Salt: to taste
- Grate ginger and garlic and finely ground the peanut and sesame seeds.
- In a bowl take wheat flour add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, oil, garam masala and mix it well.
- Add peanut & sesame seed powder and add water and knead it in dough. The should be a little harder than roti dough.
- Divide the dhokli dough into small round balls and on dusted board roll them as thin as you can.
- Now heat a tawa / pan and semi-roast dhokli on either sides.
- Let the roasted dhoklis rest for sometime and cut into square / diamond shapes.
- Boil the toor dal in the presser cooker for about 10 min or till 3 whistles.
- In a pan add a tbsp of oil once the oil in heated add the mustard seed, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick and let them temper.
- Once tempered add the chopped ginger, green chili and curry leaves. Saute for about a min till the raw flavor of the ginger is gone.
- Then add the peanut and tomato and again saute for about a minute till tomatoes are cooked well.
- Now add boiled dal and water and stir it . Then throw in all the spices like red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and mix well all the ingredients.
- Let the dal boils for about 5 to 8 min.
- Once the dal is boiling throw in all prepared dhokli and cook for about 5 minutes on high flame.
- Gujarati Dal Dhokli is ready. Garnish it with the chopped coriander and serve hot.