Gujarati lauki thepla or dudhi na thepla recipe with step by step pictures – A traditional gujarati recipe of bottle gourd whole wheat flat-bread with indian spices.
By now you know how pakka gujju I am. I have tried to share most of the traditional gujarati recipes here on this blog. I am still learning as there are so many regional variations and recipes. Being gujju, I make gujarati food daily in my home. Its simple, easy to digest and quite healthy vegetarian cuisine which is full of flavors and colors. Thepla is something that we have almost everyday in our breakfast or dinner. Due to the fact that it is prepared so often in my home, I try to add variations of this dish. There are so many varities of gujarati thepla you can prepare. I have already published recipe of gujarati plain thepla and methi thepla. Other thepla that I make at home are dudhi thepla, palak thepla and also vegetable thepla too.
In this lauki thepla recipe, the star ingredient is lauki or bottle gourd. Bottle gourd also known as dudhi in Gujarati is a popular Indian vegetable that is used in many curries too. Lauki chana dal sabzi is my hubby’s favorite sabzi. I use lauki in muthia dhokla too. Apart from simple lauki ki sabzi, we make these different dishes using this humble vegetable.
For lauki thepla recipe, I have used yogurt or curd while kneading the dough. Adding around 1 tbsp of yogurt makes the dough soft and thepla softer. For kneading the dough I have not added any water. The moisture from lauki and yogurt is sufficient for kneading the dough. Also to make lauki thepla even healthier, you can add other flours such as jowar flour or bajra flour.
Let us check the step by step recipe of Gujarati lauki thepla or dudhi na thepla with pictures.
Recipe of Gujarati Lauki Thepla (Dudhi Thepla) with step by step pictures
To make delicious gujarati lauki thepla sieve whole wheat flour (chappati atta) in a large mixing bowl.
Wash and peel the bottle gourd / lauki and grate the lauki. Take the grated lauki / dudhi and add in wheat flour.
Mix the wheat flour and lauki and then add garlic paste. You can even grate the garlic and then add it.
Now add dry spices: turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder.
Add salt as per taste.
Mix all the dry spices in flour.
Now add 1 tbsp of oil in thepla dough. Adding oil makes thepla nice and soft.
Add 1 tbsp of yogurt (curd).
Mix well and knead the dough for lauki thepla. We are not adding any additional water while kneading the dough. The moisture from lauki will help in making dough.
Knead hard and make smooth dough for thepla. Dough for dudhi tepla is ready. Let the dough rest for 5-10 minutes.
Once the dough is rested, divide the dough into small balls roughly size of lemon.
Let us knead the dough ball for thepla. Before doing so, let us heat the tawa / skillet so that it becomes hot once the thepla is rolled.
Take one dough ball and place it on rolling board. Dust the dough with some wheat flour. Roll the dough into roughly 4-5 inch round thepla.
Once the tawa/skillet is hot, place the rolled lauki thepla and let it cook for few seconds. Once bubble starts appearing on top, flip the paratha. Apply around 1/2 tsp oil on top surface. Cook the thepla on both sides with oil till it turns golden brown.
Lauki thepla is ready. Repeat above steps and make thepla from remaining dough.
Delicious lauki thepla or dudhi thepla is ready.
Lauki Thepla Recipe Box (Dudhi Thepla)
- Wheat flour: 1 1/2 cup
- Lauki : 1/2 cup
- Garlic : 1 tsp
- Coriander powder : 2 tsp
- Red chili powder : 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp for dough
- Curd : 1 tbsp
- Oil : 4 tbsp for making thepla
- Peel the dudhi / lauki and grate it using grater.
- Sieve whole wheat flour (atta) in a large mixing bowl and add grated lauki.
- Mix the lauki and wheat flour with hands and then add garlic paste.
- Now add dry spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt as per taste.
- Mix all spices together and then add around 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of yogurt / curd.
- Combine the yogurt into wheat flour and spices and start kneading the dough for dudhi thepla.
- While kneading the dough, do not add extra water. The moisture from lauki will help in binding the dough.
- Knead the lauki thepla dough and pound it using hand for a while. The dough for lauki thepla is ready. Keep the dough aside to rest for 5-10 min.
- Diving the dough into small lemon size equal balls.
- Take a dough ball on rolling board and dust it with some wheat flour.
- Start rolling the dough into 4-5 inch round thepla.
- In the meanwhile heat a tawa / skillet on medium flame.
- Once the tawa is hot, place the rolled thepla on it and roast for few seconds.
- As soon as bubbles starts appearing on top surface, flip the thepla on other side.
- Apply oil on both sides of thepla and roast till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Lauki thepla is ready.
- Serve lauki thepla or gujarati dudhi thepla with masala curd, raita, pickle.
Other Indian flat-bread recipes similar to lauki thepla
Pooja S saysJuly 29, 2015 at 6:02 pm