Lauki chana dal sabzi is one of the common house hold name in India. This healthy and tasty curry is quite famous in almost all the parts of India. In western state of Gujarat this curry is known as Dudhi Chana Dal Sabzi. Also in some part of India Lauki is known as Ghiya so this curry is called Ghiya chana ki daal.
Lauki chana dal curry as its name suggest mainly comprise of Lauki (bottle gourd) and Chana dal (Split bengal gram). Lauki chana dal both are very healthy ingredients. Lauki also known as south asian squash has around 90%of water and it is easy to digest. It is cool, calm, diuretic and anti-bilious in nature. Lauki has been known to have weight loss effect, so those who are looking to reduce extra inches from waist should surely include Lauki in their diet.
Chana dal is low in fat and high in fiber. It helps in lowering cholesterol. It is beneficial for the diabetics because of its unique properties and low glycaemic index.
Steps to make Lauki chana dal sabzi recipe
1. Heat the oil in the presser cooker and add mustered seeds. When the muster seed cracks add cumin seeds, Asafoetida (Hing) and chopped (minced) garlic. Stir for a few second.
2. Now add tomato and let the tomato get soften. Keep on stirring.
3. After the tomato is soften add the chana dal and lauki.
4. Now time to put all the masalas. Add salt, red chill powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and mix well. Add some water and close the presser cooker and cook till 2-3 whistles on medium flame.
5. The lauki chana dal sabji is ready to serve. To garnish add some green coriander leaves on top.
- Lauki (Bottle gourd / Doodhi / Ghiya): 2 cups, diced
- Chana dal (Split Bengal gram): 1/2 cup
- Tomato chopped: 1/2 cup
- Water: 1/2 cup for cooking
- Garlic: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (sabut jeera): 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai): 1/2 tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 1/2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander leaves: 2 tsp, chopped
- Salt: to taste
- Soak the Chana dal in 1 cup of water for 1 hour.
- Cut the lauki into small square pieces.
- Now heat the oil in the presser cooker and add mustard seeds and let it crackle then add cumin seeds, Asafoetida and garlic finely chopped stir it for few second and add tomato chopped and mix it. let tomato cooks little.
- Add soaked chana dal and lauki
- Add all the masala like turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt to the taste and stir it.
- Add some water and close the presser cooker and cook till 2-3 whistles in medium flame
- Now open the presser cooker if there is lots to liquid in the sabzi the cook the sabzi without the lid for some time, sabzi or curry should be of medium consistency.
- Now take the sabzi in the serving bowl and sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves on top.
- Can serve the lauki chana dal sabzi with roti, phulkas or paratha .
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.