Gujarati bhindi kadhi recipe (bhinda ni kadhi) – A delicious traditional Gujarati yogurt recipe with stir fried okra (bhindi).
During summer season the consumption of butter milk (chaas) increases two fold in my home. We love buttermilk so its on everydays lunch menu. I make curd at home and use that home made yogurt to prepare butter milk. Sometimes due to hot weather the buttermilk tends to get sour. So I make kadhi using left over yogurt or sour yogurt. Most of the times we make plain sweet & sour Gujarati kadhi at home. But recently I have started making this bhindi kadhi instead of regular one. My hubby loves bhindi so he never complains if I pack him bhindi kadhi & jeera rice for lunch box 🙂
This is an easy recipe of bhindi kadhi. The ingredients needed for this kadhi are easily available in any Indian kitchen. If you are fed up of having regular kadhi then try this variation and I am quite certain you’d love it. The recipe is very straight forward. We just stir fry bhindi in oil for sometime and then make regular kadhi and add bhindi in it. Also while tempering kadhi I have used methi dana (fenugreek seeds). That give very nice flavor to kadhi. If you don’t have methi dana then you can skip it. No issues.
Related: gujarati kadhi | maharashtrian kadhi
I have served this bhindi kadhi with steamed rice. However they goes really well with jeera rice. So do make this kadhi with jeera rice. The cumin flavored rice taste amazing with bhindi kadhi.
Here are a few handy tips to make delicious gujarati bhindi kadhi recipe.
Tips to make perfect Gujarati bhindi kadhi
- To make kadhi, try to use sour yogurt/dahi. As it will give authentic sour taste to kadhi recipe.
- If you do not have sour yogurt/dahi then you can add few drops of lemon juice in the yogurt & gram flour mixture.
- Always use dahi/yogurt at room temperature as sometimes the refrigerated yogurt might separate while boiling in kadhi.
- Stir fry the bhindi first as it will take out any stickiness from okra. Well cooked stir fried bhindi will taste great in kadhi and also will not become slimy.
- If you feel adding besan/gram flour directly in curd might form lumps then take the gram flour in a bowl and add water. Mix well gram flour in water and make a paste. Then add this paste in yogurt. This way no lumps will remain.
- If bhindi kadhi becomes too sour then add a little sugar and mix well to balance the taste.
Getting back to the recipe, let us check the step by step guajrati bhindi kadhi recipe.
Recipe of Gujarati Bhindi Kadhi recipe with step by step pictures
To make delicious gujarati bhindi kadhi we will need okra or bhindi, dahi (yogurt/curd), besan (gram flour), ginger, green chilies. mustard seeds, methi dana (fenugreek seeds), curry leaves, some fresh coriander (hara dhaniya) and oil. The exact quantities of each of these ingredients is shown in the recipe box at end of this post.
Let us first prepare bhindi for bhindi kadhi. Wash the bhindi and whip using kitchen napkin. Make sure no moisture remains in the bhindi. Now cut the bhindi diagonally as shown here. Heat a tawa / skillet and add oil in it. Once the oil is hot add chopped bhindi / okra.
Shallow fry the bhindi in hot oil atleast for 2-3 minutes. Cook till the bhindi are no longer slimy.
Add salt as per taste in bhindi and mix well.
Turn off the gas and keep the stir fried bhindi aside till we prepare kadhi mix.
Now in a large mixing bowl take sour yogurt / dahi and add gram flour in it.
With the help of whisker, whisk the yogurt and gram flour till they both combine well and no lumps remains.
Add 1/2 tsp of haldi (turmeric powder) in yogurt mixture. Also add salt as per your taste. Remember we already added some salt in stir fried bhindi. So go little easy on salt. Mix well all the ingredients.
Add around 1 cup of water in yogurt and mix well. The yogurt mix is ready for kadhi. Keep it aside till we prepare tempering for gujarati bhindi kadhi recipe.
Heat a deep bottom pan / kadhai and add oil in it. Once the oil is hot add hing (asafoetida).
Add rai (mustard seeds) in the oil.
Also add methi dana (fenugreek seeds).
Once the mustard starts fluttering add curry leaves, finely chopped green chilies and ginger.
Saute for 20-30 seconds till the ginger is cooked properly.
Now pour the yogurt besan mixture in the tempering and mix well.
Let the kadhi comes to boil once.
Add little water if kadhi looks too thick. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
Now add stir fried bhindi (okra) in the kadhi.
Mix well and let kadhi gets cooked along with bhindi for 5 minutes.
Gujarati bhindi kadhi is ready. Garnish the kadhi with some freshly chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya).
Gujarati bhindi kadhi or bhinda ni kadhi is ready to serve.
Serve this kadhi hot along with khichdi, jeera rice or steamed rice.
Gujarati Bhindi Kadhi Recipe Box
- Bhindi (okra):1 cup
- Dahi (yogurt ): 3/4 cup
- Besan (gram flour) : 1 1/2 tbsp
- Haldi (turmeric powder) : 1/2 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Water : 1 cup
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) : 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) :1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves : 5 leaves
- Green chilies : 1 piece
- Ginger : 1 tsp chopped
- Coriander leaves : 1 tbsp for garnish
- Wash and dry out the bhindi using kitchen towel.
- Cut the bhindi into medium pieces.
- Heat oil in a flat pan / tawa and once hot add bhindi/okra.
- Saute the bhindi in oil for 2-3 minutes until nicely cooked. Stir occasionally to avoid getting burn. Season the bhindi with some salt and mix well. Keep the stir fried bhindi aside.
- Take yogurt in a big mixing bowl and add gram flour (besan).
- With the help of whisker whisk until besan and yogurt mix well and no lumps remains.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi) and salt as per your taste.
- Now add 1 cup water and whisk again with the help of whisker so that salt and haldi mix properly in yogurt mixture.
- Now to temper the kadhi heat 1 tbsp of oil in a deep bottom pan or kadhai.
- Once the oil is hot add hing (asafoetida) and mustard seeds (rai) and methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
- Let the mustard seeds (rai) flutters and then add kadi patta (curry leaves), finely chopped green chilies and ginger.
- Saute ginger for 20-30 seconds and then add yogurt mixture that we prepared earlier in the tadka. Mix well.
- Let the kadhi comes to boil once and then add stir fried bhindi.
- Mix well and cook for 5-8 minutes on low flame. Stir occasionally.
- Add water if the kadhi looks too thick and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Delicious Gujarati bhindi kadhi recipe is ready to serve. Serve this kadhi with steamed rice or jeera rice.
Other kadhi & dal recipes similar to Bhindi Kadhi
Sarah saysApril 22, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Very easy and tempting recipe… will try this for sure 🙂
Gopi Patel saysApril 22, 2015 at 11:16 pm
Hi Sarah, yes indeed a very easy recipe. Do try and comment here how it came out. 🙂
Ravi saysFebruary 8, 2018 at 8:05 pm
i am from Hyderabad. i ate rhis receipe inAhmedabad prepared by the owner of a famous hotel by himself. It’s too tasteful. I have asked my wife to prepare this tomorrow evening.