Chole Paneer Masala Recipe – India is a land of diverse culture. Among other things food also contributes in diversity. From Northern state of Kashmir to the southern state of Kerala we see hundreds if not thousand varieties of dishes. The staple diet changes from state to state. Even within a state there are variations in cuisine. One thing however is similar is the Street food. India like many other South Asian countries is a land of street food. From streets of Mumbai to Kolkata you can find so many varieties of dishes being served.
From chaats to gol gappas, idli sambar to dosa. Indian street food is full of flavors. One such street food dish that we love is Chole bhature. Chole bhature is actually combination of two dishes. Spicy white chickpea Chole and all purpose flour deep fried bread Bhature. Both these dishes are made and served separately however their combination is best among everything. Also the Chole can have many variations like amritsari chole, punjabi chole and the one we are making today: Paneer Chole. This dish has its origin in Delhi. And if you are in Delhi then do not forget to visit the heart of Delhi, Chandni Chowk. There are hardly any places where you get Chole bhature better than Chandni Chowk.
Paneer is considered to be vegetarians delight. I think it is by far the most ordered vegetarian ingredient in any Indian restaurant. And when we marry Paneer with Chole the end result is a treat that one should never miss. Mouth-watering Chole paneer masala is the kind of dish I would love to eat when my mood is off 🙂 Chole paneer combines the richness of paneer to the spicy Indian taste bud tickling Chole.
The Chole paneer recipe that I have made is simple and easy one. Once the Chole are boiled there are hardly any difficult steps. Also I have used readymade Chole masala powder that is available in market. The paneer cubes goes well in Chole paneer recipe. However you can also add some grated paneer to give it a good texture.
The white chickpea or kabuli chana must be soaked overnight or atleast for 7 to 8 hours. They take longer to cook. We have to cook them in a pressure cooker.
Let us check the recipe of Punjabi Paneer Chole with step by step pictures.
Recipe of Chole Paneer Masala with Step by step photo
Ingredients required to make Chole paneer masala are soaked and boiled white chickpea / kabuli chana, paneer cut in cubes, tomato paste, grated onion, chopped green chilies, garlic and ginger paste. Also we will need some usual Indian spices like clove (laung), cinnamon (dal chini), star anise (chakri phool) and bay leaf (tej patta). For onion and tomato I have grated them using a medium size food grater.
Heat around 3 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick thick bottom pan. Once the oil is hot add cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon and star anise.
Add chopped green chilies, garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute so that the raw flavor of garlic is gone.
Now add grated onion. Give a stir and mix it with other spices. Cook for 2 minutes till onion turns golden.
Saute the onion until they turn golden brown in color.
Now add grated tomato. Mix well and let the tomato gets cooked with onion.
Cook the gravy for 2 to 3 minutes until it oozes out the oil. Once the oil is separated we are ready to add dry spices.
Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chole masala powder and salt to taste. I have used the ready made Everest Chole Masala.
Combine all the spices in onion tomato gravy. Let the gravy gets cooked for 2 minutes. If require add water to the gravy.
Now add boiled chole / chana in tomato onion gravy.
Add a little water to the gravy. We will cook chole in gravy and so the water will evaporates.
Let the Chole get cooked in gravy for a good 5 to 6 minutes.
Once the water evaporates the chole sabji is ready.
Now add paneer cubes to chole masala. Lot of people fry the paneer cubes before adding them in chole but personally I think frying make them a little harder. The softness of paneer remains intact if we add them fresh. But feel free if you want to fry first and then add.
Mix paneer cubes in chole masala gravy and let them cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
Appetizingly mouth watering Chole paneer masala is ready. Garnish it with freshly chopped green coriander leaves and serve the Chole paneer hot with bhatura. Chole paneer with bhatura is the best combination. Deep fried bhatura are not for weight watchers but they certainly goes well with Paneer chole. Also you can serve chole paneer with naan, kulcha, lacha paratha or tandoori roti. Also plate some onion slices, lemon wedges and green chilies and serve complete Chole paneer dish.
Chole Paneer Masala Recipe Box
- Chole (kabuli chana): 1 cup
- Paneer: 200 gm
- Tomato: 1 cup puree
- Onion: 1 cup grated
- Ginger: 1 tbsp
- Garlic: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Green chili: 1 tsp chopped
- Coriander leaves: 2 tbsp
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Clove: 4 piece
- Cinnamon: 1 inch
- Star anise: 1 piece
- Bay leaf: 2 pieces
- Red chili powder: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 3 tsp
- Chole masala powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 2 tsp or to taste
- Soak the white chickpea / kabuli chana in water overnight or for at least 7 to 8 hours.
- Boil the soaked chickpea in pressure cooker for 10 minutes with sufficient amount of water.
- Grate the onion and tomato and make paste.
- Cut paneer into cubes. Optionally shallow fry paneer cubes in a non-stick pan.
- Finely chop garlic, green chili and grate ginger.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan / kadhai. Once oil is hot add bay leaf (tej patta), cloves (laung / lavang), cinnamon and star anise.
- Add finely chopped garlic, green chilies and grated ginger. Cook until the raw flavor or ginger is gone.
- Now add grated onion and cook for 5 to 6 minutes till onion turns golden brown,
- Add tomato puree and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until the gravy starts oozing out oil.
- Now add all dried spices: add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chole masala powder and salt to taste.
- Combine all the spices with gravy and cook for at least 5 minutes. Add water and adjust the consistence of gravy.
- Add boiled chole in onion tomato gravy. Close the lid and cook the sabzi on low flame till the spices blends with chole.
- Add paneer cubes and again cook for another 4 to 5 minute.
- Chole paneer masala sabji is ready. Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve Chole paneer hot with bhature, naan, kulcha or paratha.
plasterer bristol saysApril 28, 2015 at 11:10 pm