Sev Puri Chaat is an all time favorite Indian street snack dish that you cannot miss if you are on streets of any Indian city especially Mumbai. You will find a small road side thela (a kind of hand cart) selling all kinds of chaats. Sev puri chaat is one such dish sold here that is quite appetizing.
Like every other Indian, I love all kinds of chaats 😀 Whether it is sev puri chaat, dahi papdi chaat, batata puri chaat, ragda pattice or pani puri, I love’em all 🙂 In India it is easy not to miss these snacks as you find them almost everywhere. However when you live abroad it is difficult to get them.
Nowadays lot of snack brands such as “Haldiram” have started exporting different Indian snacks abroad. But they are not always authentic and taste as good as their Indian counterparts. For example Haldiram sells the ready made Pani puri packets which includes both fried puris and pani. I don’t like its pani so I always make Pani of pani puri at home and use the ready made puri. Similarly you will find ready made pooris from Haldiram. Make the chutneys at home and use ready made pooris to make sev puri chaat. I have exactly done that.
The green spicy and tasty chutney for sev puri is mainly made from coriander. You can also add mint to it. And the sweet and tangy tamarind dates chutney can also be easily made at home. Sev puri chaat is a quick and easy home made chaat recipe that you can prepare in no time with some pre-preparations. I made green chutney and imli chutney before hand and store it in refrigerator.
For this sev puri chaat we need boiled mash potato mixed with some minimal Indian spices. Let us start first by making the boil mash potato and then continue with the assembly of sev puri chaat.
Step by step Sev puri chaat recipe
To make boiled potato masala for sev puri recipe wash and boil some potatoes in pressure cooker or pan.
Peel off the skin of boiled potato.
Let the potato gets cooled down completely. Then mash the potato with hands. Also sprinkle some red chili powder, chaat masala powder and salt to taste.
Our mash potato masala is ready for sev puri. Other than that we will need very few ingredients. First the key ingredient papdi puri and sev. Both of these can be easily made at home however I have use the ready made version. Also we will need two types of chutney. The spicy green coriander chutney and sweet khajur imli chutney (tamarind dates chutney). I have prepared both these chutnies at home.
Let us processed and assemble the tasty sev puri chaat. In a serving plate place the papdi puris.
Put the boiled potato masala that we prepared earlier on puris.
Sprinkle some finely chopped onions.
Now top it up with green coriander chutney as much you want.
Similarly add sweet tamarind dates chutney. If you are preparing this chaat for kids then add a little more quantity of this chutney to reduce overall spiciness of sev puri chaat.
Sprinkle some sev (fried chickpea vermicelli) on top as much you want.
Sev papdi is ready to serve. The Mumbai street food version of sev puri serves till this stage. No yogurt/curd is added to sev puri chaat. However in my version I add yogurt as I like that way 🙂 But feel free to avoid yogurt if you like.
If you have curd then whisk is thoroughly before topping it up on sev puri chaat.
Again on top sprinkle some Sev. Ta’daa.. sev puri chaat is ready. Serve the sev puri chaat immediately as it tends to get soft if kept aside for long time.
Sev Puri Chaat Recipe Details:
- Flat crisp puris/papdis: 12 piece
- Potato: 1 cup, boiled and smashed
- Onion:1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Sev:1/2 cup
- Coriander Chutney: 1/2 cup
- Tamarind Dates Chutney:1/2 cup
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Chaat masala powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Green Coriander (Cilantro): 1 cup, washed
- Peanuts: 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice: 1 tsp
- Green chili: 2 pieces
- Fresh coconut : 10 grams (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Khajur (Dates): 1 cup
- Imli (Tamarind): 1/4 cup
- Jaggery: 1 tbsp (optional)
- Red chili powder: 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Rock salt: 1/2 tsp
- Take all ingredients in mixture grinder and add little water.
- Blend into smooth fine paste and keep aside.
- Boil the khajur and imli in pressure cooker by adding about 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5 min or till 2 whistle.
- Pour the boiled khajur imli mixture in a mixture grider/food processor and purée the chutney to give it smooth texture. By using strainer remove excess water and extract the pulp.
- After extracting the pulp heat the pulp for about 5 mins in a deep bottom pan.
- Add all the spices now: red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, rock salt, jaggery (optional) and salt to taste.
- Cook for about another 5 min so that the spices blends in the chutney nicely.
- Boil, peel off the skin and mash the potatos. Add red chili powder, chaat masala powder and mix well with potato.
- Place the puris in a serving plate. On top add boiled mashed potato.
- Add chopped onions. Also top it with green coriander chutney.
- Now add sweet chutney as much as you want.
- Sprinkle some sev on top of puris. The sev puri chaat is ready.
- You can also add yogurt and sweet chutney. Or else just enjoy the tasty sev poori chaat.