Aloo cabbage sabzi recipe (dry potato cabbage curry) – A delicious homely dry curry of cabbage and potato best served for lunch with phulkas. I can make this sabzi even in my dreams 🙂 Cos I make it every week. Seriously the cabbage is favorite vegetable in our home and its on menu quite often. My hubby loves cabbage so this dry cabbage potato sabzi is made almost every week.
Cabbage is an all season vegetable. You will get cabbage round the year. Ofcourse quality differs from month to month but still you can make cabbage recipes whenever you want. That is why cabbage is one vegetable almost all Indian homes uses in one or another recipe. In a typical Gujarati household you will find cabbage sambharo – a stir fried cabbage served as sides. Also you will see aloo cabbage sabzi known as “batata kobi nu shaak” or cabbage green peas dry sabzi known as “kobi vatana nu shaak”. In Southern India cabbage poriyal another version of quick stir fried cabbage is served in south indian meal. Cabbage is used in many Indo chinese recipes such as vegetable manchurian.
This recipe of aloo cabbage sabzi is easy and very quick to make. Ingredients needed to make this sabzi are already present in all Indian kitchen. Cabbage taste great when quickly stir-fried. It must have that crunchy bite to it. That’s why cabbage cooked in kadhai or wok taste better then cooked in pressure cooker. Hence I never cook cabbage in pressure cooker.
In this aloo cabbage sabzi I have added tomatoes. Tomatoes give sourness and a different taste to the sabzi. However it is totally optional. You can avoid adding tomatoes if you want. But I would insist you make this sabzi with tomato. And also do not let tomatoes goes too mushy. They taste great when they are not over cooked.
Coming back to the recipe let us check the step by step recipe of aloo cabbage sabzi with pictures.
Recipe of Aloo Cabbage Sabzi with step by step photos
To make this simple & easy recipe of dry cabbage potato we will need 1/2 cup potato cut into small dices, 1 cup cabbage (patta gobhi) shredded and 1/4 cup tomatoes chopped. Tomatoes are optional. However my husband like tomatoes in this sabzi so I never miss them ^_^. Apart from these main ingredients we will need oil and few usual Indian dry spices.
The list of ingredients with their exact quantities are mentioned in recipe box at the end of this post.
Let us proceed and make dry aloo cabbage sabzi. Heat around 1 tbps of oil in a non-stick pan or kadhai. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds (rai). As soon as mustard seeds starts fluttering add asafoetida (hing).
Now add shredded cabbage (patta gobhi) in oil.
Also add diced potatoes (aloo) with cabbage in kadhai.
Give a good stir and coat cabbage and potato with oil and mustard evenly. Let the cabbage and potato get cooked for 3-4 minutes until they softens.
Once cabbage and potatoes are cooked halfway, add chopped tomatoes (tamatar).
Mix well all ingredients and add turmeric powder (haldi) and salt (namak) as per your taste. Again give a stir and let the sabzi get cooked for a minute.
Now add red chili powder (lal mirch powder) and coriander powder (dhaniya powder) and mix well.
Cover the lid and let the sabzi get cooked on low to medium flame for another 2-3 minutes.
Remove the lid and give a stir using spatula. Delicious dry cabbage aloo sabzi is ready now. Serve this sabzi in lunch along with hot phulka/roti/chappati, dal, steamed rice and a glass of chaas (butter milk).
Let us check the recap recipe of dry aloo cabbage.
Aloo Cabbage Sabzi Recipe Box
- Cabbage: 1 cup shredded
- Potato: 1/2 cup diced
- Tomato: 1/4 cup chopped
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds (rai): 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder (lal mirch): 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi) : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder (dhaniya) : 2 tsp
- Salt: 2 tsp or to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small dices. Shred the cabbage or slice using slicer. Also chop in small tomato.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds.
- Once mustard seeds starts fluttering add asafoetida (hing).
- Add sliced cabbage and diced potato in oil and mix well.
- Let cabbage and potato gets cooked on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Let tomatoes get cooked for a minute until softens.
- Now add turmeric powder (haldi) and salt as per taste. Also add red chili powder and coriander powder.
- Give a good stir and mix well spices in sabzi. Cover the kadhai with lid and cook the sabzi on low/medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid stir the sabzi again. Dry aloo cabbage is ready. Optionally garnish the sabzi with fresh coriander (hara dhaniya).
- Serve the dry aloo cabbage sabzi along with hot phulka, dal, steamed rice and butter milk (chaas).