Soya Matar Sabzi or Dry Soya Peas Recipe – During winter season we get lot of fresh vegetables in super market. I tend to stock up some of those veggies for later use. Green peas is one such veggie that I buy in bulk whenever I get fresh quality and then freeze them. That way I have fresh supply of green peas even when they are not in season. So you can guess I have lot of green peas right now and use them in almost all the recipes 😀
Today I am sharing a great recipe of soya matar sabji that we just love at home. Soya granules are cooked along with green peas in this flavorful sabji. Soya granules are tiny pellets that you can find easily in grocery store. They are sold as ready made package (I have used Nutrela brand soya granules for this recipe). Soya granules are quite rich in soy proteins. They make 100% vegetarian protein source that can be used in so many different dishes & recipes. Soya can be used in poha by combining it with beaten rice or also can be used to make upma. Also you can use soya granules in different rice, pulao or biriyani preparations. Soya granules are used in making desserts recipes. A simple home cooked sabzi of soya matar is also great way of adding soy protein in once diet.
This recipe is quick to make and taste superb. Children and elders both enjoy this curry. As this is a dry soya matar sabji it is perfect for lunch box / tiffin box for office or school goers 🙂
Sometime when I feel lazy to cook then this sabzi is the best option. Because it cooks faster just in 15-20 min and also is full of protein. This sabzi taste quite similar to paneer bhurji. You can also innovate and use this dry sabji as filling in wraps or rolls by adding potato, cheese etc or you can just make stuffed soya paratha 🙂
Getting back to the step by step recipe of soya matar lets check this recipe.
Soya Matar Sabji Recipe with pictures – Step by step
To make this delicious dry soy matar sabji we will need following ingredients: finely chopped tomato, onion, soya granules, ginger and green chili paste or finely chopped, garlic paste or finely chopped and fresh green peas (or frozen peas). Along with these ingredients we will also need few Indian dry spices like red chili powder, coriander & cumin powder, turmeric powder etc.
Let us start first with preparation of soya granules.
1. Soya Matar Recipe – To prepare Soya granules
First we need to prepare the ready made soya granules that we bought from market. Soya granules comes in different variations. I have used the granules which are semi grounded texture like tiny pallets. First we need to cook soy granules properly in water. For 1 cup of soya granules I have added 2 cups of water. Soya tends to increase in size so we need more water.
Cook for 2 minutes until the water comes to boil.
It doesn’t take long to cook soya. Take the soya in a sieve and rinse it thoroughly in running water.
Squeeze soy granules between your palms to remove excess of water.
Soya granules are cooked and ready to be used in soya matar sabzi. Let us now proceed with sabji recipe.
2. Soya Matar Recipe – To make Soya matar curry
Let us now make soya matar sabzi. For this heat around 2 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan. Once the oil is hot add finely chopped onions. Saute the onion until they becomes translucent.
Once onions are cooked add finely chopped tomatoes.
Saute the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes and then add finely chopped green chilies, ginger and garlic. I have added ginger and green chili paste here.
Give a quick stir to the curry and add fresh peas. You can use frozen peas for this sabji. Just soak them in water for a minute before adding it to this curry.
Mix well and let the green peas or matar get cooked for 2-3 minutes. Now add powdered spices: add red chili powder, coriander and cumin powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder. Give a stir and mix all the spices.
Pour 1/4 cup of water.
Cook for 2-3 minutes until the spices blends with onion tomato gravy.
Add salt as per your taste.
And add soaked soya granules in onion and tomato gravy.
Give a stir and mix onion tomato gravy with soya granules nicely.
Cover the pan with lid and let the soya matar sabji gets cook for 3-4 minutes.
Remove the lid and give a quick stir to soya matar sabzi. Garnish with freshly chopped green coriander (cilantro).
Dry soya matar sabji is ready. You can serve this sabji with roti/chappati, phulka or paratha.
Lets check the recap of soya matar or green peas sabzi recipe.
Dry Soya Matar Sabji Recipe Box
- Soya Granules : 1 cup
- Green peas:1/2 cup
- Tomato: 1/3 cup finely chopped
- Onion: 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Ginger:1 tsp paste or finely chopped
- Garlic:1 tsp finely chopped
- Green chili:1/2 tsp paste or finely chopped
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp or to taste
- Coriander and cumin powder: 1 tbsp
- Water :1/4 cup
- Salt: 1 tsp or to taste
- Take a cup of soya granules in container.
- Add twice amount of water to granules and cook until water starts boiling.
- Remove the granules in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under running cold water.
- Squeeze the soy granules between palms to remove excess of water.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add finely chopped onions once the oil is hot.
- Saute the onions for sometime until they become translucent. Then add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes till they softens. Then add green chili, ginger and garlic (finely chopped or paste).
- Give a stir and then add fresh or frozen green peas. Mix well and let the peas cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add powdered spices: red chili powder, coriander & cumin powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water and mix well with onion tomato gravy. Let the gravy simmer for a minute.
- Add a tsp of salt or as per your taste.
- Add soaked soya granules to onion tomato gravy and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and let the soy matar gets cooked nicely for atleast 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and give a good stir to sazi. Cook until the sabji dries out. Garnish the soya matar with freshly chopped coriander.
- Soya matar sabji is ready to serve. Serve this sabji hot along with roti/chappati, phulka or paratha.