Baingan Papdi Recipe is something that is not fancy and probably you will never make when you have guests at home. No you wont get this sabzi in restaurant or thelas. But you will do find this sabzi cooked in a normal Gujarati house hold. This normal home cooked food is simple to make and easy to digest. You will get the ingredients for this sabzi from any Indian sabziwalas. The vaal papdi or surati papdi is a bit tedious to get hands on if they are not in season. But mostly in state of Gujarat and Maharashtra you can easily find this vegetable.
Vaal papdi also known as hyacinth beans in English or surati papdi are in season in summers. It looks like flat green peas with a shell around. Each papdi contains roughly 2 to 4 seeds which can be easily separated out. These seeds are also called Lilva. You can make many different recipes using Lilva such as Lilva kachori, lilva sabzi etc. Surati whole papdi along with the seeds is very nutritive. Its rich in fibers and full of protein. Combining it with aubergine / egg plant gives great taste and a healthy curry recipe for lunch.
Related: Baingan Palita Recipe
For this baingan papdi sabzi recipe I have tempered the carom seeds (ajwain) and added jaggery to add balance to the curry. Also the flavor of garlic along with jaggery is unique and taste different on palate.
This Gujarati style sabzi is really easy to make. Do try this sabzi if you like baingan and want to make something other then usual baingan masala, aloo baingan or even baingan ka bharta.
Let us check the simple easy recipe of baingan papdi (ringan papdi nu shaak) along with step by step pictures.
Recipe of Baingan Papdi Sabzi (Baingan Lilva) – Step by step photos
To make this delicious simple and easy recipe of baingan papdi sabzi lets first chop all the vegetables. For this we will clean the brinjal / baingan and surati papdi or vaal papdi thoroughly in water. Drain out the excess water. First cut the stem part of baingan and then cut baingan into medium size pieces. You can chop the baingan in your preferred size.
Next to prepare surati papdi is a bit tedious and time consuming. We need to work on each strand one by one. Take a washed papdi strand and carefully remove the thread part from sides. Remove the top and bottom part also. This way both the layers will get separate easily. Now do this with rest of vaal papadi and use both seeds and papdi.
Now rest ingredients are easy. We need a medium size tomato chopped into pieces and one full tablespoon of garlic cut into slices. The flavor of garlic mixed with sweetness of jaggery lifts up the taste of this sabzi. Also we will temper carom seeds (ajwain) instead of usual mustard seeds or cumin seeds.
We will prepare this sabzi in pressure cooker. Surat papdi and baingan both take some time to cook and thus it is preferred to cook this curry in a pressure cooker. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pressure cooker and add carom seeds (ajwain).
Once the ajwain seeds starts crackling add chopped garlic. Saute the garlic for a minute.
Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until they softens.
Let the tomatoes get cook for 2 minutes until they softens.
Now add vegetables into pressure cooker. Add baingan and papdi.
Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and salt as per your taste.
Give a quick stir and let the spices get cooked for a minute.
Add a tablespoon of jaggery (gudd) and combine well with rest of the ingredients.
Add a cup of water and mix well again.
Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook the sabzi for 10 minutes (2 whistles).
Delicious papdi baingan sabzi is ready. Serve this curry hot as home made food along with phulka, daal and butter milk.
Baingan Papdi Recipe Box (Baingan Lilva)
- Baingan: 1/2 cup
- Surati Papdi: 1 cup
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Garlic: 2 tbsp sliced
- Tomato: 1/2 cup chopped
- Carom seeds (Ajwain): 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin powder (jeera): 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Jaggery: 1 tbsp
- Water: 1 cup
- Wash the brinjal / baingan and surati papdi or vaal papdi thoroughly in water. Drain the water.
- Remove stem of baingan and cut into medium size pieces.
- Remove the side thread of papdi. De-seed and separate two layers carefully.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add carom seeds (ajwain).
- Once the carom seeds starts fluttering add sliced garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes oozes out water and become soft.
- Now add sliced surati papdi and chopped brinjal (eggplant) and give a good stir.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder (jeera powder), coriander powder (dhaniya powder) and salt. Mix well all ingredients.
- Add a tablespoon of Jaggery (gudd) and mix again well.
- Pour a cup of water and combine all ingredients together.
- Pressure cook the sabzi for 10 minutes (2 whistles).
- Turn off the gas and let the pressure cooker cool off.
- Remove the lid of pressure cooker and give a quick stir to sabzi.
- Baingan Papdi sabji is ready. Serve this sabzi hot with phulka, daal and butter milk.