Bharwan Mirch Recipe or Besan Bharwa Mirch Recipe – An easy step by step recipe of green chilies (bhavnagri mirch) stuffed with gram flour/besan filling.
Let me share a simple recipe of stuffed green chilies. This recipe of bharwan mirch is very easy to make. In India we always find different bharwa recipes. Bharwa basically means stuffed in Hindi. So we have bharwa parval, bharwa karela, bharwa bhindi, bharwa mirch etc. We call it “bhareleli mirchi or bharli marchi” in Marathi and “bharela marcha” in Gujarati. The stuffing is made from gram flour/besan usually spiced up with some Indian spices. You can add any ingredient in the stuffing. The combination of hot chilies and mild tangy stuffing is quite flavorful and makes a great side dish.
If you get bored of eating daily meal of dal chawal and roti then do make this side dish once. It really is simple yet add great taste to the meal. Typically we use a type of green chilies called “bhavnagari green chilies” to make this recipe. These kinds of green chilies are thought to have originated from Bhavnagar, Guajarat. They are a little bigger then normal Indian chilies that you get in market and also less spicy compared to small chilies. If you do not get bhavnagri mirch then you can use any other type that is available. Just make sure they are not too spicy. Also the chilies should be fresh and wrinkle free.
Let us check the recipe of bharwa mirchi.
Bharwan Mirch Recipe with Step by step photos
To make this delicious side dish of bharwa mirch. We need to assemble first the filling which is made from besan/gram flour. Then simply stuff the filling in green chilies & shallow fry them. Following are the ingredients required to prepare this recipe.
Fresh green chili (also known as bhavnagri green chilies), fennel seeds (saunf), gram flour (besan), sugar, salt, lime juice, red chili powder, oil, asafoetida (hing), coriander powder and turmeric powder. The exact quantities of each of these ingredients is given in the recipe box at the end of this recipe.
Let’s begin the recipe by first making the gram flour based stuffing.
1. Bharwan Mirch Recipe – To make the besan stuffing
In a mixing bowl take roasted gram flour/besan. I have dry roasted the besan in a pan. Just make sure it doesn’t burn while dry roasting.
Now in the roasted gram flour add all the Indian spices like red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds (saunf), sugar and salt to taste.
Mix well all the dry ingredients so that it blends well with the roasted besan.
Now add enough oil (around 3 tbsp) to the besan and make the pasty stuffing. Do not add water to the stuffing.
As in the below picture we can see that all the ingredients are blended well with each other.
To give the tangy flavor to the stuffing just add few drops of lime juice. You can also add the amchur powder/dry mango powder instead of lime juice. Our stuffing for green chilies is ready.
The stuffing is ready. Now let’s prepare the green chilies and stuff them with besan stuffing.
2. Bharwan Mirch Recipe – To stuff the green chilies
Wash and whip the green chili with the damp cloth. Then remove top portion of the green chili and give a slit lengthwise from center as such that if you fill the filling should not come out. Remove the seeds if there are any and the green chili is ready to stuff now. One by one stuff the besan filling inside the chilies and keep aside.
This is how you have to stuff all your green chili.
Now let us quickly stir fry the stuffed green chilies.
3. Bharwan Mirch Recipe – To stir fry the stuffed green chilies
In a non stick pan add little oil and heat it. Once the oil is hot add pinch of asafoetida (hing).
Then slowly place all the stuffed green chili into the pan .
Close the lid and let it cook for about one minute on low flame.
Then turn the green chili on other side so that they are cooked from all sides properly. Stir fry the green chilies for a minute and take them off the gas. Our delicious bharwan mirch or stuffed green chilies are ready. Serve these chilies as side dish in any Indian main course menu.
Besanwali Bharwan Mirch Recipe Box
- Green chili (bhavnagri mirch): 7 pieces
- Gram flour (besan) : 1/4 cup roasted
- Coriander powder (dhaniya): 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder:1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf) : 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/8 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi) : 1/4 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Lemon juice: 1 tsp
- Oil: 4 tbsp
- Salt: 2/3 tsp
- Take the roasted besan or gram flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds (saunf), sugar and salt. Mix well all the dry ingredients.
- Add a tbsp of oil in dry ingredients and mix well. Squeeze half a lime juice in stuffing and mix well. Our stuffing for bharwa mirch is ready.
- Prepare the bhavnagari green chilies by washing and wiping them first. Remove the top portion of green chili.
- Give a slit lengthwise from center as such that if you fill the filling should not come out.
- Remove the seeds if there are any and the green chili is ready to stuff now.
- One by one stuff the besan filling inside the chilies and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a flat bottom pan/skillet. Once the oil is hot add asafoetida (hing).
- One by one place the stuffed green chilies in skillet.
- Cover the lid and let green chilies get cooked for 1 min.
- Remove the lid and turn the green chilies on other side and let them get cook uniformly.
- Our delicious bharwan mirch recipe is ready to serve.
Other delicious side dishes similar to bharwan mirch