Sookhi moong dal recipe with step by step pictures – A delicious dry moong dal preparation served with aamras and poori.
We had a treat today. For lunch I made a delicious combination that is only prepared in summers. We had Aamras, sookhi moong dal and wheat poori. The only thing for which I like summers is Mango. We get delicious Alphonso mangoes and I make aamras at home. Although aamras goes well with any lunch dish but it specially goes great with sookhi moong dal.
This dry moong dal preparation is very easy and quick to make. The protein rich lentil cooks quickly compared to other daal like chana dal or toor dal. Hence this dry moong dal is usually made in pan instead of pressure cooker. Usually we have enough stock of moong dal at home and hence it is easy to make when you are running little less on vegetables.
This sookhi moong dal recipe is also a lunch box recipe. Kids love the combination of sookhi moong dal and poori. Even you can make sookhi moong dal, poori, kadhi and jeera rice for lunch party.
Yellow moong dal is used in so many recipes. I have made sindhi style moong dal and moong dal khichdi. Also moong dal is cooked along with other vegetables like methi moong dal and turia moong dal.
Let’s get back to the simple recipe of sookhi moong dal.
Recipe of Sookhi Moong Dal with step by step pictures
To make delicious dry preparation “sookhi moong dal”, heat oil in a skillet / pan. Once the oil is hot add cumin seeds (jeera) and mustard seeds (rai).
Once the mustard seeds starts crackling, add dry red chili, bay leaf, ginger paste and green chili paste.
Mix and saute the ginger green chili paste for 10-20 seconds in oil.
Now add soaked moong dal. I have soaked the moong dal in water for 10 minutes. Removed all the water and added just the soaked moong dal. Mix the moong dal well.
Now add haldi (turmeric powder) and (lal mirch) red chili powder in moong dal.
Also season the dry moong dal with salt as per your taste.
Give a good stir and mix all ingredients well.
Cover the lid of pan and cook the moong dal for 5-7 minutes on low/medium flame.
Remove the lid and check if sabzi is cooked by pressing few moong dal with spatula. If cooked well, the sookhi moong dal recipe is done. Serve the moong dal sabzi with aamras and wheat poori – a perfect lunch dish on a summer afternoon.
Let us check the recap of sookhi moong dal recipe.
Sookhi Moong Dal Recipe Box
- Moong dal : 1/2 cup
- Oil : 2 tsp
- Mustard (rai): 1/4 tsp
- Cumin (jeera): 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chili : 1 piece
- Bay leaf (tej patta) : 1/2 leaf
- Ginger paste: 1 tsp
- Green chili paste : 1 tsp
- Red chili powder : 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Wash the yellow moong dal (yellow lentil) in water for 1-2 times. Soak the moong dal in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat the skillet / pan and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As mustard seeds starts crackling add dry red chili, bay leaf, ginger paste and green chili paste.
- Saute the ginger green chili paste for 10-20 seconds.
- Strain the water from moong dal and add moong dal in pan. Mix well.
- Now add dry spices: red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder.
- Also add salt and mix well.
- Now cover the lid of pan and let the moong dal gets cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check if the moong dal is prepared by pressing few dal.
- Sookhi moong dal recipe is done. Serve the dal along with poori and aamras.
Other dry sabzi recipes similar to sookhi moong dal
Leave a Reply