Besan cheela recipe with step by step photos – Besan cheela also known as besan dosa or vegetarian omelet is a quick Indian breakfast recipe that we all love. This quick fix break fast dish gets ready in no time and is quiet appetizing too. Often we wake up with a confuse thought of what to have in breakfast. Well here is a dish that you can cook for breakfast in no time. Also besan cheela can be served as evening snacks for hungry school return kids or office return husbands 🙂
There are so many different variations of this simple dish. You can add almost anything in the besan cheela batter and make all sorts of cheelas. I sometimes make vegetable cheelas, methi cheelas, corn cheelas, cauliflower cheela, cheese besan cheelas etc. Depending on what is available in refrigerator at time of making you can improvise. Also try adding grated carrot to besan cheelas. It taste yum. Don’t worry about the calories 🙂 Breakfast like a king ^_^
Today let us stick to the basic besan cheela recipe that is made from gram flour, onion, green chili, ginger garlic and usual Indian spices. Let us go through step by step recipe of besan cheela.
Related: Besan simla mirch ki sabji
Step by step recipe of besan cheela for breakfast or snacks
To make this vegetarian omelet also known as besan ka cheela we will need following ingredients. Gram flour (besan), whole wheat flour (gehu ka atta), grated onion, methi (fenugreen leaves), ginger & green chili paste, garlic chutney, yogurt, oil and usual Indian spices.
Sieve the besan and take it out in a mixing bowl. Also add whole wheat flour, grated onion, methi, ginger green chilies paste, red garlic chutney, coriander powder, turmeric powder, yogurt, salt and water.
- Put a non-stick tawa / pan on gas and heat a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot pour one big ladle of cheela batter per dosa. You can make first besan cheela smaller in size as it might get stuck to the pan.
- With the help of ladle spread the batter evenly on tawa.
- Now pour few drops of oil at the corners of besan cheela and spread a tsp of oil on top using spoon.
- Cook the besan cheela on hot tawa until the upper surface changes its color and the bottom surface turns golden brown.
- Flip the besan cheela on other side and cook until the color of this side also changes to golden brown.
- Besan ka cheela is ready. Take the cheela off the gas and place it on paper napkin to let extra oil gets absorbed.
Below is the recipe box to quickly glance the ingredients & steps. Also you can increase or decrease the serving depending for how many people you planning to make besan cheela for.
Besan Cheela Recipe Details
- Gram flour (besan): 250 gm
- Wheat flour: 50 gm
- Fenugreek leaves (methi): 1/2 cup, chopped
- Ginger & Green chili: 1 tbsp, paste
- Garlic chutney: 1 tbsp, paste
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp
- Curd / Yogurt: 1/2 cup
- Water: 2 cups
- Salt: 2 tsp, to taste
- Oil: 1 tsp, per chilla
- In a mixing bowl take gram flour (besan) and wheat flour (gehun ka atta).
- Add ginger green chili paste, garlic chutney, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, curd, salt and water and mix all the ingredients into smooth paste like batter.
- Also add finely chopped fenugreek leaves (methi) into besan chilla batter.
- The consistency of batter should be runny. Add water in case batter is too thick. Also check the seasoning and add salt as per taste.
- To prepare besan chilla, heat a non-stick flat bottom pan (tawa).
- Add a tsp of oil and pour one part of besan chilla batter on tawa and spread it using spatula (as we do for dosa).
- Let the besan chilla gets cooked on one side for 1 to 2 minutes or till it gets golden brown.
- Turn the besan chilla and cook other side again for 1 to 2 minutes till it gets golden brown in color.
- Besan cheela is ready to serve.
- Serve besan chilla hot along with tomato ketchup, coriander chutney or even tea.
Here are few tips that you should keep in mind to make perfect besan cheela for your family.
Tips to make perfect Besan cheela
- Cook the besan cheela on medium flame. If cooked on high flame they tends to get blacken very soon without being properly cooked from inside.
- Add generous amount of oil to make crispy besan cheelas.
- Before pouring the batter on tawa make sure the oil is hot enough. Otherwise besan cheela will not get cooked and will stick to the pan.
- While adding any vegetable to besan cheela batter, grate the vegetable and remove the moisture by squeezing it. Otherwise while cooking the vegetable will make besan cheela soft from inside.
I hope you like this recipe. Please do comment and share your thoughts. Bon Appétit 🙂