Vegetable Jaipuri Recipe with step by step photo – When it comes to eat in a Vegetarian restaurant we find only two kinds of curry dish being served. One with paneer and another mix vegetable. Also there are some regional favorites that we find in an Indian restaurant menu like veg kolhapuri, kashmiri dum aloo or gujarati sev tamatar. One such dish that you might see now and then popping out of any Indian vegetarian restaurant is “Vegetable Jaipuri“. This dish is made with usual mix of different seasonal vegetables. However the difference is in the gravy.
Vegetarian Jaipuri is a simple dish with lots of vegetables. There are so many ways one can prepare this recipe but my favorite is from chef Sanjeev kapoor. I have adopted this veg jaipuri recipe from sanjeev kapoor’s website with a small twist of my own. Instead of adding khoya I just added fresh cream. Also like many other mix vegetable sabzi recipes I have added small amount of paneer in this curry. Paneer in a small quantity just lift up this sabzi.
The gravy is made using authentic rajasthani / jaipuri style spice paste. First we will make spice paste and then use the same in gravy. The recipe is quick. And with a little pre-preparation you can make this in no time.
Let us check the step by step recipe of Vegetable Jaipuri or Veg Jaipuri with photos.
Recipe of Vegetable Jaipuri Sabzi or Veg Jaipuri – step by step
Like any other mix vegetable curry we need a lot of freshly chopped vegetables to make this delicious vegetable jaipuri sabzi. Along with the vegetables we need some Indian spicies to make masala paste / spice paste that we will add to the curry. Also I have added Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in small quantity. Ofcourse you can omit it but I highly recommend adding Paneer cubes in a little quantity.
First let us make the spice masala for vegetable jaipuri. For that heat a tablespoon of Ghee or clarified butter in a non-stick pan and add whole coriander seeds.
Also add 5-6 pieces of cashew nuts. Like in many Punjabi recipes, cashew nuts gives a unique flavor while increasing overall richness of curry.
Add sliced green chilies. I have removed the seeds of green chilies to reduce its spiciness. You can adjust the quantity of green chilies as per your taste.
Saute the coriander seeds, cashew nuts and green chilies in hot ghee for 10 to 20 seconds till the coriander seeds are cooked and cashew nuts turns golden in color.
Now take the saute spices and cashew nuts in a grinder jar.
Grind into smooth fine powdered spice masala. Make sure you grind it absolutely fine. Otherwise the small pieces of coriander seeds doesn’t taste that great in veg jaipuri.
Now lets prepare the vegetables for veg jaipuri. For that chop the green beans, carrot and peel green peas if you are using fresh green peas. I have used frozen peas here. In a deep bottom vessel par boil the vegetables on medium flame. Along with these vegetables we will also add green capsicum / bell pepper. The crunchiness of capsicum adds to the flavor so we don’t want it to be too soft.
After 2 minutes check if the vegetables are par-boiled. We don’t have to cook them completely.
Now our spice mixture is ready and vegetables are par boiled. Let us start with sabji. For that heat remaining ghee / clarified butter in a non-stick pan. You can use the same pan which we used to saute spices and cashew nuts. Once the ghee is hot add finely chopped onions, ginger and garlic.
Saute the onion until they turn golden in color. Once onion is cooked add chopped tomatoes.
Cook for 2 minutes until the tomatoes become soft. Now add Garam masala powder.
Give a quick stir and mix the garam masala powder with tomato onion gravy.
Now throw in the boiled vegetables: green beans, carrot, green peas.
Also add chopped capsicum.
Now its time to add the coriander seeds, cashew nut masala paste that we prepared earlier. Add the paste in sabzi.
Give a stir and mix well the spice paste with vegetables. Now its time to add tomato puree. By adding tomato puree we make gravy for this recipe. You can add tomato puree while sauteing onion and tomato too.
Mix well all ingredients. Let the tomato puree gets cooked with curry. You can add a little water to fix the consistency. Let us season the gravy now. Add salt according to your taste. Also throw in the small cubes of paneer. You can shallow fry the paneer and add. I haven’t fried the paneer as I think it looses its softness.
Combine the paneer with veg jaipuri gravy. Let the veg jaipuri simmer for a minute. Add a little water to fix the consistency of gravy. Now add a spoon full of fresh cream. I have used home made cream but you can always use ready made cream. By adding cream we will increase the richness of this curry.
If the gravy looks too thin then let the sabji get simmer for a minute. Vegetable Jaipuri is ready now.
Garnish vegetable jaipuri sabzi with some freshly chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) and serve hot paratha, roti or garlic naan.
Vegetable Jaipuri or Veg Jaipuri Recipe Box
- Ghee: 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds: 2 tsp
- Ceshew nuts: 6 pieces
- Green chilies: 1 tsp
- Onion: 1/2 cup chopped
- Tomato: 1/2 cup chopped
- Onion tomato puree: 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Capsicum: 1/4 cup chopped
- Carrot: 1/3 cup chopped
- Green beans: 1/3 cup chopped
- Green peas: 1/3 cup
- Paneer: 100 grams
- Salt: 2 tsp or to taste
- Fresh cream: 1 tbsp
- Water: 3/4 cup
- Wash all the vegetables (green beans, carrot, capsicum, green peas) and cut into medium size pieces.
- Heat water in a deep bottom pan and par-boiled all vegetables except Capsicum in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water and rinse thoroughly in cold water to stop veggies from over cooking.
- Also finely chop onions and tomatoes for the gravy. We will also need tomato puree so blend the tomatoes in a blender.
- In a non-stick pan heat a tablespoon of ghee or clarified butter and saute coriander seeds, cashew nuts and sliced green chilies. Saute till cashew nuts turn golden brown in color.
- Take the coriander seeds ,cashew nuts and green chilies in a mixer grinder jar and make a smooth paste.
- In a non-stick pan heat 1 tbsp of ghee / clarified butter and saute chopped onions, ginger and garlic paste.
- Saute until onions turns golden. Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until they are soft.
- Add garam masala powder and mix with other ingredients.
- Let the tomato onion gravy gets cooked for 2 minutes. Add a little water if required.
- Throw in the boiled vegetables along with chopped capsicum.
- Also add the Jaipuri spicy masala we made earlier.
- Now add the tomato puree and mix well with all ingredients.
- Let the gravy gets cooked for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame. Add water if require.
- Now add paneer cubes / Indian cottage cheese. Combine paneer with veg jaipuri gravy and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add a spoon of fresh cream and mix well.
- Delicious Vegetable Jaipuri or Veg Jaipuri is ready to serve. Serve this sabzi hot with paratha, roti or kulcha.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.