Sweet corn masala curry recipe is a mildly spicy Indian curry of boiled sweet corn kernels tossed in creamy tomato & onion gravy. Unlike regular sweet corn curries, this curry does not have yogurt or curd. Sometime back I had published a recipe of corn ki sabzi which had yogurt in the gravy. This is a simple sweet corn masala recipe that is cooked in tomato gravy.
Sweet corn is a great little packet of delight. I love this ingredient and often use in so many different dishes. Sweet corn soup is my favorite soup that I often order in restaurant. Check out my other sweet corn recipe rice and sweet corn bites.
This is an easy sweet corn masala recipe cooked in Punjabi style as they do in restaurants. We made a rich tomato onion gravy with some cashew nut paste. This gives really great flavor to this mild curry. You can also add dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) in this dish to counter balance the sweetness of sweet corn. But this is optional. I had added kasuri methi in my previous cork ki sabzi recipe which I made using yogurt.
Let us check the step by step recipe of restaurant style sweet corn masala curry with pictures.
Step by step Recipe of Sweet Corn Masala Curry
For this delicious sweet corn masala curry we will need tomato, onion, ginger and garlic and off course boiled sweet corn kernels. First let us prepare the ingredients. Peel off the onion and finely chop. Also remove the skin of tomato by first blanching it boiling water for a minute and then peeling off its skin. Grate the ginger and garlic or alternatively you can also use ginger garlic paste instead of fresh ginger garlic.
Now heat a non-stick pan and add a tbsp of oil. Add cumin seeds (jeera) and temper it in hot oil until its color changes to brown. Also add a pinch of asafoetida (hing). Throw in the grated ginger and garlic and saute in hot oil till the raw flavor of ginger and garlic goes away.
Add chopped onion and saute in oil until becomes translucent.
Once the onions are cooked. add chopped tomatoes. We have removed the skin of tomato by blanching it in hot water. This way the curry masala will have smooth texture without tomato skin.
Let the tomatoes get mixed well and form nice smooth onion tomato gravy. Now add all Indian spices like red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Also add salt as per your taste.
Mix well and let the spices get cooked for a minute. The mildly spiced tomato onion gravy is ready.
In the tomato onion gravy, add boiled sweet corn kernels and mix all ingredients well.
The tasty delicious sweet corn masala curry is almost ready. Before we finish I have added cashew nut paste to give sweet corn masala curry nice aromatic taste.
Sweet corn masala curry is ready to serve. Serve hot with chappati, roti or paratha.
- Sweet corn: 1 cup, boiled kernels
- Tomato: 1/2 cup, skinned
- Onion: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Ginger: 1 tsp, paste
- Garlic: 1 tsp, paste
- Cumin seeds (jeera): 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Cashew nut paste: 1 tbsp, optional
- Peel off the onion and finely chop. Also grate ginger and garlic.
- To remove skin of tomato, blanch the tomato in boiling water for a minute and then let it cool. Peel off the skin once cooled.
- In a non-stick pan heat a tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add cumin seeds (jeera) and pinch of asafoetida. Let it saute till cumin turns brown.
- Now add grated ginger and garlic and cook for a minute till the rawness disappears.
- Throw in the chopped onions and saute till they becomes translucent.
- Once the onion sweats add tomato and saute until it form nice gravy.
- Add all spices: turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala.
- Season it with salt as per taste and mix well all the ingredients.
- Cook for 5 minutes on low flame until the gravy starts oozing out oil.
- Add boiled sweet corn kernels and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly add cashew nut paste and mix well the curry.
- Sweet corn masala curry is ready. Serve hot with chappati, roti or paratha.
If you are looking for more starter recipes then do check out dry manchurian recipe, tawa sandwich and chili cheese toast.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.