Rice and Sweetcorn bites are one of my favorite tea time snack. These crispy little mouthwatering bites are full of flavors and are perfect for a tea party 🙂
The rice and sweetcorn bites are great as side dish / starter or snack for tea party as I mentioned earlier. The best part about this recipe is that you can prepare all the ingredients before hand and use them when you want to make these bites. Also it is possible to make the bites and store them and later put them in oven for sometime before serving.
The main ingredients, sweetcorn and boiled rice taste delicious in these bites. The way I have prepared is first to create sweetcorn and boiled rice mixture and then make cube shape bites and fry them in a pan. To properly bind the main ingredients use butter and some all purpose flour (maida). This will provide a thick base to connect all ingredients together.
Serve the rice and sweetcorn bites with tomato ketchup or even they go well with coriander chutney.
Step by step recipe of Rice and Sweetcorn Bites
1. Heat a tablespoon of butter in pan and add about two table spoons of all purpose flour (maida) and mix it well. Now pour 1/2 cup of milk slowly into this mixture. Stir continuously while pouring the milk. Mix everything well and prepare a mixture with medium consistence as shown in below image.
2. Take the mixture in a bowl and add crushed sweetcorns, chopped green chili, chopped coriander (cilantro), boiled rice, pepper and salt to taste.
3. Mix everything well so that the mixture becomes nice and soft as shown in below image. It should be possible to make small cubes out of this mixture. Also taste the mixture now and adjust the seasoning as it will be difficult to do so once you have prepared the rice sweetcorn bites 🙂
4. Take some rice sweetcorn mixture and make small cube shape bites as shown here. You can create any shape you want. Round balls, rectangular dices, cylindrical etc. Just make sure the bites are not too thick, otherwise they wont get cooked properly.
5. Now to shallow fry the rice sweetcorn bites, we need to apply a layer of breadcrumbs to give them nice crisp texture. To do so just soak the rice sweetcorn bites in mixture of water and all purpose flour and then roll them in breadcrumbs. This way the breadcrumbs will stick nicely on rice sweetcorn bites.
6. Shallow fry the bites in a pan with some oil. Alternatively you can deep fry the rice sweetcorn bites.
The crispy rice and sweetcorn bites are ready. Serve them with some tomato ketchup.
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Plain flour (maida): 2 tbsp
- Milk: 1 cup
- Sweet corn: 1/2 cup, meshed
- Rice: 1 cup, boiled
- Green chili: 1 tsp, chopped
- Salt: to taste
- Pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves: 1/2 cup, chopped
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Plain flour (maida): 1 tbsp
- Breadcrumbs: 2 tbsp
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in pan & add all purpose flour (maida) and mix well. Add 1/2 cup milk to this mixture. Stir continuously while preparing the mixture. It should become slightly thick as shown in above image.
- Take the mixture in a bowl and add meshed sweet corn, boiled rice, chopped green chili, chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), pepper powder and salt to taste. Mix everything well.
- Assemble the mixture in small cube shaped bites as shown in above image.
- Prepare a mixture of water and all purpose flour (maida). Soak the rice sweetcorn bites in flour mixture and then roll it in breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry the rice and sweetcorn bites in a pan or alternatively you can also deep fry the rice corn cubes.