Instant south indian onion tomato chutney for dosa – A quick & easy recipe of onion tomato chutney which complements dosa, idli or uttapam.
When it comes to South Indian cuisine, dosa is ubiquitous dish that is popular across the globe. I still remember having dosa’s in sarvana bhawan in heart of Paris and they tasted as if I was in Chennai 🙂 The taste of dish, ambiance of the restaurant, the way food was served was quite homey. I love south indian food. Being bought up in Chennai I have developed quite a taste for all the dishes. Even being gujju and having gujju food daily, I still make sambar rice or curd rice on weekends. On sunday sambhar is must for me. So naturally Dosa are my favorite breakfast dish. I don’t often make the batter at home but I buy ready made fresh batter which is damn good. So making dosa is easy. But what goes best with dosa? Well it’s ofcourse sambar and coconut chutney.
Coconut chutney is made from fresh coconut. However we don’t often have fresh coconut at home. So I replaced coconut chutney with an instant version of south indian chutney that goes quite well with dosa. This chutney recipe is my college friends recipe. She used to bring this chutney along with idli to our college. I liked it so much that I make it quite often now. The best part about this onion tomato chutney is that its instant and all the ingredients are already present in any indian kitchen.
This tangy onion tomato chutney remains fresh for a day outside refrigerator so its best for tiffins and lunch box. If you make uttapam for kids just add a tablespoon of this chutney and pack it in lunch box. It will remain good and taste great.
A few tips to keep in mind while making instant tomato onion chutney for dosa.
Few tips to make yummy onion tomato chutney
- Always cook the tomatoes and onions properly so that chutney does not taste raw.
- You can add 1/2 tsp of sugar in this recipe to make onion tomato chutney a bit sweet and tangy.
- Instead of tomatoes you can add tamarind (imli) & kashmiri red chili and it will give similar tangy taste.
- This chutney can be stored in an air tight container for 2 days in refrigerator.
So without further ado lets check the recipe of onion tomato chutney for dosa, idli and uttapam.
Recipe of Onion Tomato Chutney for Dosa with step by step pictures
To make this instant tomato onion chutney for dosa we will need following ingredients: Tomato, onion, garlic, chana dal (bengal gram), dried coconut, curry leaves (kadi patta), dried red chili, hing, oil and some salt. The quantities of these ingredients are shown in recipe box at the end of this post.
Let us start by heating a flat pan/tawa/skillet and heating oil in it. Once the oil is hot add hing (asafoetida) and chana dal (bengal gram).
Cook the chana dal for 20-30 seconds in oil and then add curry leaves (kadi patta) and dried red chili.
Saute curry leaves for few seconds and add finely chopped garlic.
Now add dried coconut pieces in the oil and stir fry for few more seconds. I have used dried coconut in this recipe. You can also use fresh coconut instead of dry one if available.
Add sliced onions in the pan. Mix and cook for a minute.
Add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
Add salt and cook for a minute till tomatoes get soft and mushy.
The onion tomato are nicely cooked for chutney. Turn off the gas and let the onion tomato mix cools off before grinding it into chutney.
Once the onion tomato mix cools down, transfer it into grinding jar of mixture grinder or food processor.
Add few tablespoon of water and blend into smooth paste.
Blend until chutney becomes smooth.
Delicious tangy and tasty instant onion tomato chutney for dosa is ready. Serve this chutney at room temperature with south indian dosa, idli or uttapam.
South Indian Onion Tomato Chutney for Dosa
- Tomato : 3 medium tomatoes
- Onion : 1 medium onion
- Garlic (lehsun) : 1 tbsp
- Oil : 1 tsp
- Hing (asafoetida) : 1/4 tsp
- Dry coconut : 1 tbsp piece (optional)
- Dry red chili : 1 piece
- Curry leaves (kadi patta) : 6 leaves
- Chana dal (bengal gram) : 2 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Water : 3 tbsp or as required
- Slice up the onions and cut tomatoes into pieces.
- Heat a flat-bottom non stick pan and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add chana dal and hing (asafoetida).
- Saute the chana dal in hot oil for 20-30 seconds.
- Add curry leaves (kadi patta) and dry red chili. Saute for 20-30 seconds.
- Now add coconut pieces in oil.
- Add the sliced onions in oil and saute for a minute.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes and mix it along with onions.
- Add salt to onion & tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes until tomatoes become soft.
- Remove the onion and tomatoes mix from gas and let it cool off.
- Once it cools down completely, transfer the mixture to mixer grinder jar.
- Add a few tbsp of water and blend it into smooth paste.
- Onion tomato chutney is ready. Serve this instant onion tomato chutney with dosa, idli or uttapam.
Other chutney recipes similar to onion tomato chutney
Poonam saysApril 20, 2015 at 10:34 am
Thanks for sharing this instant n easy recipe.
Gopi Patel saysFebruary 5, 2015 at 9:03 am
Thanks Poonam 🙂
Shabana saysApril 23, 2015 at 6:10 pm
Looks yummy…. will try this soon…. I must say Im in awe with all of ur recipes. Thanks for sharing
Gopi Patel saysApril 24, 2015 at 9:35 am
Thank you Shabana! It’s always great to hear that you liked these recipes. Do try it.
bristol plasterer saysApril 29, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Gopi Patel saysApril 30, 2015 at 10:22 am
Charu saysJuly 17, 2015 at 9:56 am
Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe. I tried this and I am the kitchen queen now. Every body in my family loved it..
Gopi Patel saysJuly 21, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Hello Charu thank u for loving the recipe 🙂
Narayan Mahale saysMarch 2, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Lookes yummy. Will give a try soon .Thanx for sharing Gopi.
Gopi Patel saysMarch 5, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Anders Svenson saysMarch 16, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Hi! I appreciate you for this delicious recipe. Actually, Yesterday some guest had come to my home and I was confused how I impress them, and then suddenly found your blog on the internet and I cooked this recipe for the guest. They like this recipe very much. Thanks for sharing.
RamyaSatish saysApril 6, 2016 at 9:59 am
Very Nice recipe……so tasty
Gopi Patel saysJune 16, 2016 at 11:04 am
Thank you Ramya 🙂
Geeta Purohit saysJune 20, 2020 at 9:01 pm
I liked the recipe very much tasty thanks for sharing please send recipes coming thanks