Falafel recipe step by step recipe – Crispy deep fried chickpea fritters from Middle east served with pita bread, tortilla.
In continuation to my recipe of hummus that I posted day before yesterday, here I am back with another lebanese delicacy that is loved by all – falafel. Falafel is a traditional Middle eastern deep-fried fritters made from chickpeas (safed chole). This little crispy balls are so yummy that you can not just control once you have one. The taste of falafel is also quite appealing especially to our Indian taste buds.
Fafafel is a boon to all vegetarians. If you are a vegetarian travelling in Europe then thanks to most of the “Kebab” shops that serve delicious falafel wraps, you will definitely have a vegetarian option. On every corner of street, chances are there that you will get falafel and salads. From Middle east, this humble balls have gone mainstream and reached United states, Europe, Asia and even India.
To be frank, I never had falafel before in India. First time I had falafel in Switzerland. There is a chain of eating joints in Zurich called “New point” or as they say in Swiss German “Neu punkt”. Every now and then we used to have delicious falafel wraps in this joint. Being vegetarian there are obviously very few options 🙂
Falafel balls are quite easy to make if you see the recipe. There are nothing but the mashed chickpea with some spices, garlic, coriander etc bind with bread. And simply deep fried or shallow fried in cooking oil / olive oil. Falafel can also be baked in oven instead of deep frying. We need to use soaked chickpea for making falafel. If you have tinned/canned chickpea then you need to add more bread or flour for binding.
These falafel balls are usually served with pita bread along with yogurt or hummus. You can also make mix salad with lettuce & yogurt dressing and serve along with falafel balls. Falafel wraps is another option that you can try.
Let us start the quick and simple step by step recipe of Falafel.
Recipe of Falafel with step by step photo
In order to make falafel, we need to soak the chickpea (chole) in water for overnight or atleast for 5-6 hours. However as I mentioned earlier can also use tinned/canned chickpea to reduce the cooking time.
Now here’s is the list of ingredients we need to make falafel balls: Soaked chickpeas, fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped onions, slices of bread, baking powder, salt, coriander powder (dhaniya), roasted cumin seeds (bhuna jeera), coriander seeds (dhaniya dana), garlic, black pepper and asafoetida(hing). The exact quantities of each of these ingredients are mentioned in the recipe box at end of this post.
Let’s start by taking a mixture jar or food processes and adding all the ingredients like soaked chickpeas, chopped onions, baking powder, salt, coriander powder, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic, black pepper and asafoetida(hing) in it.
Cut the bread into medium pieces as shown here and add it in grinder jar too. Instead of bread you can also use wheat flour. It basically helps in binding the falafel balls.
Now add the fresh coriander leaves or you can even add parsley or both.
Blend all the ingredients well in the blender or in food processor till it become fine paste. Don’t add water in this mixture. The moisture from chickpeas will help in making paste.
Transfer the mixture in a bowl.
Take the lemon size mixture in your palm and make the ball out of it. Press in center to make flat tikki or you can give shape as you like.
Try to make all equal size falafel balls/tikki and keep aside.
In a pan heat olive oil and once the oil is hot place the tikki and let it cook on a low flame.
Flip the tikki to other side and let it cook for about 3-4 min or till golden brown on low flame.
Now your falafel is cooked from both side and ready to serve. Let them cool down.
Serve the falafel at room temperature with pita bread, hummus or tortillas with salad and yogurt on side. Uncooked falafel balls (before frying) can be stored in refrigerator for 1-2 days. If you are planning to make falafel for party then you can make these balls before hand and store it in refrigerator. Just take them out, let them get to room temperature and fry them on your party day.
Veg Falafel Recipe
- Chickpea : 1 cup
- Coriander powder : 1 tsp
- Onion : 2 piece diced medium
- Asafoetida (hing) : 1/3 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Baking powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander : 1/2 cup chopped
- Black pepper : 1/2 tsp
- Roasted cumin (bhuna jeera) : 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds : 1 1/2 tsp
- Bread : 2 slices
- Soak the chickpeas in water for overnight for atleast for 5-6 hours.
- Take soaked chickpea in a mixture grinder jar and add chopped onions, baking powder, salt, coriander powder, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic, black pepper and asafoetida(hing) in it.
- Also add pieces of bread and fresh coriander (cilantro).
- Now grind the mixture together until you get thick paste of chickpea.
- Transfer the mixture in a bowl and take a small portion of mixture roughly size of lemon in your palm.
- Give ball shape by pressing the mixture between your palms. Press from the center and make in shape of tikki.
- Repeat the above steps and make falafel balls from remaining chickpea mixture.
- Now heat olive oil in a frying pan and carefully place the falafel balls in it.
- Cook the falafel balls in oil on one side till it turns golden brown. Flip the falafel balls and cook on other side.
- Once the falafel becomes golden brown, take them out of pan and let them cool down.
- Delicious falafel balls are ready to serve.
- Serve the falafel balls with salad, pita bread, tortillas and yogurt sauce.