Eggless Whole Wheat Bread Recipe: Easy eggless whole wheat bread recipe with tips tricks and steps.
This post is about baking your own bread in your kitchen. You can bake your own 100% whole wheat bread and it is also simple to make. The key ingredient what I use for this eggless whole wheat bread is white wholewheat flour. You can find this flour in any super market and if you don’t get it don’t worry you can also use wheat flour too.
Basics of baking bread
Baking the bread is easy if you know few tips and tricks. It is good to know about ingredients and method of making bread for a perfect loaf of bread. First important thing is the flour. Better the quality of flour, you will get better flavor, texture and appearance of the bread.
Regular whole wheat flour is milled from hard red spring wheat which results in a flavorful, tan colored, high-fiber flour. It creates heavy, denser, nuttier flavored baked breads. While the White whole wheat flour is milled from white whole wheat, which makes it lighter in color and less bitter in flavor. Yet it’s got the same nutritional value of regular whole wheat flour, which is great! It creates lighter, sweeter baked breads. So you might ask: Are regular whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour interchangeable in recipes? Yes.
Second important thing is the yeast . There are different types of yeast available in the market. Dry yeast, fresh yeast and instant dry yeast. Yeast get activated in warm water with sugar which in turn release the carbon dioxide and slowly raises and form small bubbles or air pockets. If you are using instant dry yeast then you can directly add it flour while making bread dough.
And the third important thing is sugar. If you add more amount of sugar then raising of yeast process will slow down and you wont get the proper result . Even adding less sugar will not give good result so always add the given quantity of sugar while making the bread.
What should be the temperature of oven while making bread?
This is the common question in our mind while baking the bread. You might follow recipe to the point and bake the bread to given amount of time at given temperature, still sometimes it burns or doesn’t come out well. The reason behind this is that different oven have different time of heating so whenever you bake anything always keep eye on it and after 75% time passes try to check it once. Once you practice enough with your oven you will start understand its nature and won’t make such mistakes. Also do not open the oven multiple times while baking. When we open it, it brings down the temperature and might affect the recipe.
Enough of theory 🙂 Lets start the recipe with step by step photo for better understanding 🙂
Eggless Whole Wheat Bread Recipe with step by step pictures
To make eggless wheat bread we will need ingredients such as white whole wheat flour, oil, water, yeast, sugar and salt. Only few ingredients and you can bake home made wheat bread. To know exact quantities of ingredients, scroll down to end of this post.
This is very important step while baking bread. If your yeast is activated properly then only your bread will become fluffy. You can skip this process if you are using instant dry yeast . This process is for people using dry yeast.
In the below picture I have taken warm water in a bowl and added sugar. To activate the yeast you need sugar or honey. Now add yeast give a stir and let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes you can see bubble forming in the mixture. Now you know that yeast is activated properly. If you don’t get bubble then yeast is not activated so keep it for some more time. Still bubble does not form then please don’t use the mixture as you will not get good bread. Redo the process and make sure that your water is warm and not hot.
To knead dough for Wheat bread
On working surface take whole wheat flour and add salt and mix well. Make a well like one shown below and add olive oil or any oil of your choice.
Then add fermented yeast mixture to the flour. If you are using instant dry yeast then add warm water and the yeast powder directly to the flour and mix. No need to activate the yeast separately.
Mix all the ingredients well and you can see that your dough will be sticky in nature so knead the dough by applying some oil on your pam . Knead the dough for about 10 min or til the dough is smooth.
In the below picture the dough is soft. It is because I have kneaded it for about 7-8 min. Now the dough is ready to ferment.
To ferment the wheat bread dough
Place the dough in the bowl and cover it with plastic/cling wrap and let it rest for about 1 hour or till it is double in size. If your place is cold then it will take more time to ferment.
Once the dough is fermented to the desired level again knead it for a minute and place it in the bread mold as shown in the picture. And again let it rest till it occupies the bread tin.
Pre-heat the oven for about 10 min at 200 degree C. Then slowly place the baking tin in the pre heated oven and and bake for 20-25 min at 200 degree C.
Now our delicious bread is ready to serve. Cut slices with bread knife and eat fresh or store for 2-3 days.
Eggless Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- White whole wheat : 2 cups
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1/2 tsp to taste
- Dry yeast : 1 tsp
- Water : 1 cup
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- If you are using dry yeast then you have to do this process.
- In warm water add dry yeast and sugar and let it rest for about 10 min to ferment
- Once the mixture is fermented you can see the bubbles in the mixture. Thus the yeast mixture is ready to use.
- Take the white whole wheat flour on the work area and add salt to the flour and mix well.
- Make a well in between and add olive oil or any oil and fermented yeast mixture to the flour.
- Mix well all the ingredients to form dough. Dough will be to sticky to kneed so add oil on your palm and knead the dough.
- Knead the dough for about 10 min or till it becomes smoother.
- Place the dough in bowl and cover it with plastic/cling wrap, let it rest for about 1 hour or till it doubles in size.
- Once it is doubled in size knead the dough for a minute and give the shape of bread tin and place it in the mold and again let it rest for about 1 hour or till it fills the bread tin.
- Pre-heat the oven for about 10 minutes at 200 degree C.
- Place the bread tin in the oven for about 20-25 min at 200 degree C or till the top is golden in color and it leaves the sides of the tin.
- Once the bread is done place the bread onto the cooling rack and let it cools down.
- Once cool down, cut the slices of the bread.
- Healthy whole wheat bread is ready. You can eat the bread fresh or store it in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Some delicious sandwich recipes