Dates Chocolate Balls – Its party time as Christmas and New year are on its way. As in all the festival we invite friends and relatives and have fun with them. We even try to make drinks, sweets, curry with flat bread and serve our guest.
Today I am sharing a simple dates roll with a twist by giving chocolate coating to it. It looks as a chocolate ball but actually it is the healthier version of dates ball. Its always good to eat Dates especially in winter. They are quite healthier too but kids don’t eat it so you can make this dates balls by adding dry fruits and give it to them as a chocolate. Kids would happily eat it without any trouble.
When I was little my mom used to make this dates or khajur roll in winter and give me one everyday in the morning with milk. I used to love it so this winter I thought to make this recipe with a simple twist of chocolate and share it with my friends. So that they can also enjoy these delicious dates chocolate balls with richness of dates, dry fruits and chocolate.
This is a healthy sweets recipe. Dates are considered very good for health. They are free from cholesterol and contain very less fat. Dates have high fiber content and often recommended during pregnancy. Also the best part of this sweet is that its sugarless!! Yes we haven’t used any extra sugar to make these sweet treat. Dates have good natural sugar content that is enough to sweeten this recipe. Also the white chocolate layer has some sugar in it.
These dates chocolate balls are called by many names like khajur roll, khajur pak, khajur and dry fruit barfi, dates roll, dates pak and the list goes on with so many names. Whatever you call them they taste great and are good for health too.
Do make these delicious dates chocolate balls this winter and serve it to your family and friends. Let me know how it turned out in the comments below.
Let us check the step by step simple and easy recipe of sugarless balls of dates and chocolate.
Recipe of Dates Chocolate Balls – Step by step with pictures
For these chocolate dates balls, I have used both black dates and normal dates. But you can use any type of dates that’s available. The other ingredients are cashew nut, almond cocoa powder, poppy seeds (khas khas) and clarified butter (ghee) to roast. Basic ingredients which are available at home.
De-seed the dates and grinder it in a food processor or mixture grinder.
Make a paste like texture so that it would be easy to mold in different shapes.
Cut cashew nuts and almonds into small pieces. Heat 1/2 tbsp of clarified butter (ghee) in a flat-bottom non stick pan and roast the cashew nuts and almond . You can use any dry fruit such as kismis, hazelnut, walnut etc.
Once the cashew nuts and almonds are roasted keep them aside.
In the same pan heat remaining clarified butter / ghee and roast the poppy seeds (khas khas).
Once the poppy seeds are roasted add the mixture / paste of the dates.
Mix well both the ingredients and turn off the gas.
Now add the dry fruit and cocoa powder and combine all ingredients well.
Let the dates and chocolate mixture gets cool down completely before we make balls.
Take a small portion of dates and chocolate mixture and make small ball by pressing against palm. Repeat this step with remaining mixture and prepare all balls.
Now melt the white chocolate and dip the dates ball in white chocolate. I have used toothpick to hold chocolate dates ball straight while the chocolate cools down. I have used a potato to hold all the chocolate balls straight while chocolate tightens :D. Refrigerate for about 5 min.
Dates chocolate balls are ready to serve. Enjoy these mount watering delight on any occasion or serve them in any parties like birthday party, kitty party etc.
Dates Chocolate Balls Recipe Box
- Dates: 1 cup, seedless
- Black dates: 1/2 cup, seedless
- Cashew nut: 2 tbsp, chopped
- Almond: 2 tbsp, chopped
- Poppy seeds (khas khas): 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder: 1 tsp
- White chocolate: 1/2 cup, melted
- Clarified butter (Ghee): 1 tbsp
- De seed the dates and grind it using food processor or mixture grinder.
- Chop the cashew nut and almond into small pieces.
- In a non-stick flat bottom pan heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee or clarified butter and roast the cashew nut and almond. keep aside.
- In the same pan heat remaining half tbsp ghee and add poppy seeds (khas khas).
- Roast it and add the mixture of dates and combine well both the ingredients. Turn off the gas.
- Now add the roasted cashew nut, almond and coco powder and mix well all ingredients.
- Let the mixture cools down.
- Once the mixture is cool you can give any shape of your choice. I have made round balls.
- Make balls from remaining mixture and keep aside.
- Melt the white chocolate and dip the balls in the white chocolate. Keep the balls in the refrigerator for about 5 min.
- Dates chocolate balls are ready to serve.