Crispy Fried Bread Recipe (Gujarati Vaghareli Bread) – A crunchy tea-time snack recipe of bread toasted in Indian spices & sesame seeds. Perfect snack recipe with a cup of tea.
Let me share a crunchy and mildly spicy snack recipe with you all today. This one is an easy recipe and you can quickly toss and make in no time. The recipe is known as “vaghareli bread” in Gujarati which literally means, tempered bread as we quickly tempered the bread pieces in some spices. The recipe is quite similar to the recipe of vaghareli rotli (roti chivda) or spiced up roti that I shared earlier.
The idea is simple. Quickly toss the bread pieces in few Indian spices. I have added spices are always there in my spice box. You can always use the same ingredients or change the recipe a bit as per your convinence. The one ingredient that I would recommend in this snack recipe is sesame seeds or til. It gives nice crunchy texture to this recipe. So try using it whenever you make it.
This recipe of crunchy fried bread or vaghareli bread goes really well along with a cup of tea. I often make it for my hubby. Like adults, I am sure kids would love this recipe too. So make this crunchy bread for your kid whenever she/he comes home from school. Or you can even pack this in tiffin box.
Do try these other crunchy snack recipes:
Getting back to the recipe of crunchy fried bread or gujarati vaghareli bread, lets check the step by step recipe.
Crispy Fried Bread Recipe (Vaghareli Bread Recipe) with step by step photo
To make this recipe we will need green chili, dry mango powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida (hing), cumin seeds (jeera), mustard seeds (rai), sesame seeds (til), fenugreek seeds (methi dana), garlic, bread, oil and salt to taste. Exact quantities of each of these ingredients are shown in recipe box at end of this post.
Let’s start by heating Oil in a non stick pan and once the oil is hot add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, green chilies and garlic. Cook till the garlic and chili are cooked well.
Cook the garlic until the pungent smell disappears.
Now add sesame seeds (til) and and cook until the seeds crackles.
Once all the ingredients are cooked well, add turmeric powder and red chili powder.
Mix well all the ingredients. We are ready to add bread.
Cut the bread into small small pieces. I have used whole wheat bread for this recipe. You can use any bread of your choice. Mix the bread pieces into the spice mix and mix well with the help of spatula. Cook on low flame so that the bread become crispy.
In the below picture you can see that the bread is mixed well. Cook on low flame till it get crisp.
Then finally add salt and dry mango powder. Mix well all the ingredients.
And nice and crispy fried bread recipe snack is ready to serve.
Crispy Fried Bread Recipe (Vaghareli Bread Recipe)
- Bread : 15 slices
- Oil : 1 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) : 1/4 tsp
- Sesame seeds (til): 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi) : 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder (lal mirch) : 1/4 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Garlic : 1 big clove
- Green chili : 1 piece
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) : 1/4 tsp
- Dry mango powder (amchur): 1 tsp
- Cut the bread into small pieces and keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan and once the oil is hot add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, green chili and garlic.
- Cook until the raw flavor of garlic goes off.
- Then add sesame seed and cook till the seeds crackle.
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder and mix well all the ingredients.
- Add the bread pieces and mix well with oil and cook on low flame till the bread gets crispy.
- Finally add salt and dry mango powder and give a quick stir.
- Crispy and tasty fried bread (vaghareli bread) snack is ready to serve with hot ginger tea.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.