Aloo sabzi recipe for vrat or fasting – Step by step: Today I am sharing a very easy farali recipe or vrat ki recipe of aloo sabzi. In my home we make this sabzi almost always during fasting. My hubby loves this aloo sabzi so it is must in my menu 🙂 I made this aloo sabji a few days back during Mahashivratri. I have seen lot of people observing fasting or vrat during mahashivratri. Fasting seems to be a great way of reviving once body. During fasting we avoid eating grains and some spices. Normally we eat wheat flour roti in routine however during vrat its good that we skip regular diet and focus on more mild fasting recipes by consuming sabudana, samo, rajgira etc.
This aloo curry is with gravy. When we serve this sabji with rajgira paratha or puri it wont feel dry. To make the gravy to the sabji I mashed half potato and added to the curry. For the spicy taste I added green chili paste. You can even add pepper powder if you want your sabji to be more spicy. There is another version of farali aloo sabzi which is dry (farali sukhi bhaji).
When I was kid my mom use to fast during festivals and won’t let me do the same. I loved the fasting just because we can eat so many different varieties of dishes that are not cooked normally in routine. Fasting in a Gujarati household is no less then a treat 🙂
Let us check the step by step recipe with photos of farali aloo sabzi.
Recipe of Aloo Sabzi for Vrat/Fast with step by step pictures
To make this delicious vrat wale aloo sabzi recipe we will need few ingredients: boiled potato cut into pieces and some mashed, green chili paste or finely chopped, ginger paste or finely chopped, cumin seeds, lemon juice, fresh coriander / cilantro and optionally roasted cumin powder.
I have used 3 medium size potato to make this sabzi. Let us mash 1/2 potato using a masher. The mashed potato helps in thickening the gravy for aloo sabzi.
Let us make the aloo sabzi now. Heat a tbsp of oil in a non-stick thick bottom pan. Once the oil is hot add cumin seeds and let them turn brown.
Now add ginger paste and green chili paste.
Give a stir and let ginger and green chilies get saute in oil for 1 minute.
Now add boiled potatoes cut into medium size pieces.
Mix well the potatoes and let is get coated with spices. Pour water and mix again.
Let the potatoes simmer for a minute. Then add mashed potatoes in the gravy. This helps in thickening the gravy of our farali aloo sabzi.
Add salt as per your taste.
Add 1 tsp of sugar or as required. Mix well all ingredients and let the gravy simmer for 30-40 sec.
Squeeze half a lemon in vrat wale aloo ki sabzi.
If you think the gravy needs water then add water at this stage and let it simmer for few seconds. You can adjust the water this way. Finally garnish the sabzi with freshly chopped coriander / cilantro / dhaniya. Also while serving sprinkle some fresh roasted cumin seed powder.
Delicious farali sabzi of aloo is ready and can be served during fasting / vrat on festivals like maha shivratri, navaratri, ekadashi etc. Serve this aloo sabzi along with rajgira paratha, rajgira puri or even swaminarayan roti.
Let us quickly check the recap recipe of aloo sabzi for fasting or vrat.
Aloo Sabzi Recipe for Fast/Vrat
- Potato : 2 cups boiled
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Ginger: 1 1/2 tsp paste
- Green chilies: 1 tsp paste
- Water : 1 cup or as required
- Salt :2 tsp or to taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Lemon juice: 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander/cilantro : 1 tbsp for garnishing
- Roasted cumin powder: 1 tsp (optional)
- Boil the potatoes and once cool down peel off the skin.
- Cut the potatoes into medium pieces. Mash half of potato using a masher for gravy.
- Finely chop green chilies and ginger or make paste. Also finely chop fresh coriander leaves.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a thick bottom non-stick pan. Once hot add cumin seeds.
- Saute the cumin seeds until they turn brown.
- Now add ginger and green chilies paste.
- Saute ginger green chilies for 1 minute until the raw flavor or ginger is gone.
- Add medium cut boiled potatoes. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup water and let the sabzi simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Put the mashed potatoes in the gravy and again simmer for 1 minute.
- Season the curry by adding salt as per your taste.
- Also add 1 tsp sugar and mix well.
- Squeeze half a lemon juice in the sabji.
- Let the curry simmer for 1 min.
- Aloo sabzi for fasting/vrat is ready. Garnish the sabji with freshly chopped coriander/cilantro and some roasted cumin powder. Serve this curry hot along with some fasting recipes like rajgira paratha or rajgira puri.
Below are few fasting or vrat recipes that you might like to read.