Gujarati aloo poha recipe or batata poha – A perfect breakfast dish made from poha – flattened rice and batata – potato.
The aloo poha or batata poha is quite well known in Gujarat and Maharashtra. It is known as batata poha where batata is “potato” and poha means “flattened rice”. Although this is a Gujarati version of aloo poha, the maharasthrian poha is usually made with onions. Hence they are called “kanda pohe” where kanda = onions in marathi language. Aloo poha is very popular breakfast dish in both these states and hence available in all local eatery in morning. The canteens in the offices also serve aloo poha in breakfast as well as in evening snacks. In my home we make aloo poha for evening snacks. Usually morning breakfast is bhakri or thepla. On weekends I cook aloo poha for breakfast.
There are so many ways one can prepare poha for breakfast. In this recipe we have used potato as main ingredient. Other recipe we noted earlier is “kanda pohe”. Also you can add varieties of vegetables in poha like green peas, carrots, sweet corns or even eggplant (brinjal). A maharashtrian version is popular known as “vangi pohe” = “eggplant poha”.
Note: Using the two ingredients potato and poha you can even make aloo poha cutlet or tikki.
Although poha is made by flattening rice, they do have few health benefits. Poha are lactose-free so people who are lactose intolerant can enjoy this dish. Also it is fat-free and good for heart. Poha is good source of 11 essential vitamins and minerals including iron. The way poha is prepared by pounding rice in iron mortal pestle boost the iron content in poha.
Gujarati Batata Poha Recipe Video at Youtube
I have also shared the video recipe of batata poha or aloo poha on youtube. Have a look 🙂
While making gujarati batata poha we can keep a few tips in mind to make authentic poha every time.
Tips to make perfect Gujarati aloo poha
- Use thick or medium thick variety of poha available in market. The thin version of poha is used in poha chiwda and does not cook well in aloo poha recipe.
- I have added turmeric powder into the soaked poha. That way we get it evenly mixed with poha. Also when you add turmeric powder in poha it might look pale. But don’t add too much of haldi. Poha will get its authentic yellow color once cooked.
- The amount of oil is absolutely necessary in poha. Do not reduce the oil in order to make it healthy. It won’t taste good. A little generous amount of oil is necessary for tasty poha recipe.
- While cooking the onions do not overcook them. Let them sweat a little and that’s it. The crunchy bite of onions taste great in poha.
- I have fried the peanuts in oil first and then used them later. If you want to use raw peanuts then you can directly add them after adding green chilies and saute them along with potato and onion. That way they will cook properly.
- The seasoning is important in poha. I have added salt along with poha first and then in onion and potato mix. This way salt is properly mixed with poha.
- Poha must be served immediately after cooking. If you keep it for longer time it might get dry. Just add a tablespoon of milk and mix it. That might give enough moisture to poha and make it better.
Getting back to the recipe let us check step by step recipe of gujarati batata poha with pictures.
Recipe of Gujarati aloo poha or batata poha with step by step pictures
To make delicious aloo poha for breakfast we need these ingredients. Beaten rice or poha, potato, onion, green chilies, peanuts, curry leaves, lemon, oil, mustard seeds, sugar, salt and freshly chopped coriander leaves. To garnish the aloo poha we will use some fried sev (fried chick-pea flour vermicelli), pomegranate seeds and coriander. The exact quantities of all the ingredients are shown in the recipe box at the end of this post.
Let us first rinse the poha in water. For this take the poha in a strainer and rinse it thoroughly in running water atleast for 2-3 times. Do not press the poha as they might get mushy. Once cleaned, strain the excess water from poha.
Keep it in strainer atleast for 5 minutes so that all the moisture is strained out. Now add haldi (turmeric powder) in soaked poha.
Add sugar in the poha.
Add salt per the quantity of poha.
Squeeze half a lemon juice in soaked poha.
Mix everything together using you hands. Do not over work on it. Just gently press everything together.
We just soaked the poha in water and then added turmeric powder, salt and sugar in it. Keep it aside for sometime while we start cooking potato and onion.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan or kadhai and once it is hot add peanuts (shingdana). You can also dry roast the peanuts if you want. Once roasted take the peanuts out and keep aside. Leave the oil in pan.
Now in the same pan add mustard seeds (rai).
Once the mustard (rai) starts fluttering add curry leaves (kadi patta) and finely chopped green chilies.
Saute curry leaves just for few seconds and then add potato cut into cubes. Mix and cook the potatoes for 2-3 minutes.
Add finely chopped onions and again saute them for 3-4 minutes.
Add salt for onion and potato only. We already added salt to poha so add a little less salt in this step.
Mix and let onion and potato get saute for 3-4 minutes.
Now add roasted or fried peanuts and mix well.
Also add the poha mix we prepared earlier.
Mix well all the ingredients.
Cover the kadhai with lid and let the aloo poha gets cooked for 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are nicely cooked.
Remove the lid and check if potaotes are done. Aloo poha is ready. Garnish the aloo poha or batata poha with fresh coriander leaves, pomegranate seeds and some fried sev.
Serve aloo poha in breakfast along with a cup of tea.
Gujarati Aloo Poha Recipe Box (Batata Poha for Breakfast)
- Poha : 1 1/2 cups
- Potato : 1 medium
- Onion : 1 small
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Peanuts : 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds ; 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves (kadi patta) : 6 leaves
- Green chilies : 1 chilies finely chopped
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Salt : 1 1/2 tsp
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Lemon juice : 1/2 lemon
- Sev : 2 tbsp
- Pomegranate seeds (anaar dana) : 2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander (hara dhaniya) : 1/2 cup
- Peel off the potatoes and cut into small pieces. Also finely chop the onions and green chilies.
- Take beaten rice or poha in a strainer and rinse it thoroughly in running water for 2 to 3 times. Keep the poha in strainer for 5 minutes so that all excess water gets strained out.
- Mix haldi (turmeric powder), sugar and salt in the poha while it is still in strainer.
- Squeeze half a lemon juice in poha mixture. Mix well using a spoon or hand and combine all spices in poha. Keep aside.
- Now to make aloo poha heat oil in a kadhai / non stick pan. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds (rai).
- Once the mustard seeds starts fluttering add curry leaves (kadi patta) and finely chopped green chilies. Saute for few seconds.
- Add potato cubes in the oil and mix well. Let the potatoes gets cooked for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add finely chopped onions. Add salt for potato & onion only (we already added salt in poha) and mix well.
- Let the onion and potato get saute for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add roasted peanuts (shingdana) in onion & potato.
- Also add poha mixed with spices and combine well everything nicely.
- Cover the lid on kadhai / pan and cook for another 3-4 minutes until potatoes are nicely cooked.
- Aloo poha or batata poha are ready. Garnish the aloo poha with finely chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), some pomegranate seeds (anaar dana) and sev.
- Serve the poha hot or warm along with a cup of tea for breakfast or snacks.
Other breakfast recipes similar to Aloo Poha recipe
- bread upma recipe
- poori bhaji
- open cheese tawa sandwich | rava or sooji toast
- besan cheela recipe
- methi thepla
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.