Bread Upma Recipe (Wheat Bread Upma) – Here is a quick and tasty breakfast dish for your busy schedule. Upma is a famous South Indian breakfast dish made from semolina (rawa). But in North they make slightly similar dish but instead of samolina they put bread. This recipe of bread upma is a complete meal and a healthy breakfast recipe. Every morning its a big task to decide what to have in breakfast. We Indians love our food and wants different variety each day. As specially children would love to have a different colorful dish served rather then same old cornflakes and milk as breakfast. So its good idea to change your menu every now and then and surprise your family. Bread upma recipe is a dish that I don’t normally make often. But every once a while I tends to make this tasty breakfast dish as it requires very less time to make and taste really well with tea.
This is a Wheat Bread upma recipe. I have used wheat bread to make this bread upma. You can also use multi-grain bread, brown bread or normal white bread for this bread upma recipe. The best part about bread upma is that you can use slightly stale bread for this recipe. By stale I don’t mean bread gone bad..:) but you can use 2 – 3 days old bread which normally you wont like to eat directly.
A lot of people make bread upma in oil but personally I like butter. Butter give it that nutty flavor that we usually get on road side bread based dishes. Also you can toast the bread slightly before adding it to bread upma. This way the upma will taste crispier.
Whatever way pleases you but try this recipe once if you haven’t already. Bread upma with wheat bread is a great way to kickstart the day. Let us check the recipe now.
Step by step Wheat Bread Upma Recipe
Let us quickly check the ingredients required for this wheat bread upma recipe. Wash the tomatoes, de seed and chop them. Also peel off onion and chop them finely. Take two green chilies and just slice them and remove seeds. Finally mince some garlic for bread upma.
We will use 4 slices of wheat bread for this bread upma recipe and some chopped green coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnishing.
Heat a tbsp of butter in a pan. Once butter melts add a tsp of mustard seeds (rai) and let them crackle.
Add sliced green chilies in pan and saute for a minute to bring out the flavors.
Now add chopped onions and stir well to coat in butter. Cook until onions are translucent.
Throw in the minced garlic and cook until the raw flavor of garlic is gone.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook them until they are soft.
Its time to add spices. Add a teaspoon of red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix the spices in tomato onion gravy and cook until they blends nicely.
Add a little water (just 1/4 cup) to tomato gravy and cook for a minute.
Squeeze half lemon and add lemon juice. Lemon brings out great flavor in bread upma.
Finally cut the bread into medium size pieces and add them in onion tomato gravy. Toss them in gravy and cook for 2 minutes.
Bread upma is ready. Drizzle some freshly cut coriander leaves (cilantro) and some Sev on top of bread upma and serve hot.
- Bread: 2 cup, cut into pieces
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai): 1 tsp
- Green chilies: 1 tsp
- Onion: 1/2 cup, chopped
- Garlic: 2 tsp, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 cup, de-seeded & chopped
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Lemon juice: 1 tsp
- Green coriander (cilantro): 1/2 cup, chopped
- Salt: 2 tsp or to taste
- Water: 1/4 cup
- Peel off the onion and finely chop onions and tomatoes.
- Also slit and de-seed green chilies. Finely chop garlic for bread upma.
- Heat a tbsp of butter in a non-stick pan.
- Once butter melts add mustard seeds (rai) and let them crackle.
- Add green chili in butter and saute for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes get soft.
- Now add dry spices; red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix spices with tomato onion and cook until they blends in gravy.
- Add a little water to onion tomato gravy and cook for a minute.
- Squeeze half lemon into the onion tomato gravy.
- Roughly cut the bread slices into medium size pieces. Add the bread slices in onion tomato gravy and toss the bread in bread upma gravy for 2 minutes.
- Bread upma is ready to serve. Serve hot with tea.