Gujarati Rice Khichu Recipe – A traditional Gujarati evening snack recipe made from Rice flour.
Rice khichu is quite famous in Gujarat and other parts of north/west India. It is made in most of the households. I remember having this rice khichu at my home during evening hours when I used to go out playing. My mom use to make it quite often.
Navaratri festival is due in a few days now and I remember we have big gatherings to celebrate navaratri and play garba. There are different stalls/small shops of eating joints near this gathering. Rice khichu is one of the snacks served during navaratri. So I thought of sharing it with you lovely people.
There are various kinds of “khichu” made in Gujarat. One is the normal khichu made from wheat flour. Other variety is this rice khichu. Khichu is also made for making papads/papadums. The recipe that I am sharing today is just made to be consumed as snack. Not to make papad from. Also khichu tends to get hard as it cools down. Thus it is always eaten warm/hot. That way it remains soft.
Rice khichu is considered quite healthy. However the traditional way of eating it is with raw oil. Which is ofcourse not so healthy. You can try it without oil too but just try once with oil. It taste great with oil. Like a sauce on top of a gourmet dish 🙂
Getting back to recipe, below are few tips that will help you in making perfect gujarati rice khichu for evening snack.
Tips for making Rice khichu
- The amount of water and rice flour must be in given proportion. Otherwise it might spoil the texture. Adjust the quantity of water and rice flour by mixing other ingredient appropriately.
- Always add the given quantity of baking soda/papad khaar. If you add more then khichu will become salty.
- Add little less salt as soda will also make khichu a bit salty.
- If you want khichu more spicy then add more of green chili paste.
Let us now check the step by step recipe of rice khichu with pictures.
Rice Khichu recipe with step by step photos
For making this delicious rice khichu we need very few ingredients like rice flour, water, ginger and green chili paste, salt, baking soda or papad khar and cumin seeds. We will also need some oil.
First take water in a sauce pan and once it starts simmering add cumin seeds.
Then add ginger and green chili paste, salt and baking soda or papad khar to the cumin seed water. Cook for about a minute until the water is hot.
Once the water starts boiling, gradually add the rice flour to the water.
Stir well with the wooden stick or wooden spatula.
Now rice flour has started to mix well with water and also it has started to get thick.
Once it mix well it would become a soft dough.Cook for about a minute.
Make the steamer ready to steam the the rice khichu. Do not forget to grease the plate with little oil.
Now place the khichu dough on the steamer and make some holes in between so that it cooks well from all the sides.
Close the steamer and cook for about 7-8 min.
The rice khichu is ready to serve hot. It taste good when it is eaten hot. Pour some oil on top and serve the khichu hot.
Gujarati Rice Khichu Recipe
- Rice flour : 1/2 cup
- Baking soda/Papad khaar : 1/4 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Ginger green chili paste : 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) : 1 tsp
- Water : 3/4 cup
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- In a sauce pan heat the water. Once the water starts simmering add cumin seeds.
- Add green chili ginger paste, salt, baking soda or papad khar into cumin seeds water and let it simmer.
- Once the water starts boiling, gradually start adding rice flour.
- Mix the rice flour with water with the help of spatula.
- Stir continuously while the rice flour combines with water and form a nice dough. Let it cook for about a minute.
- Khichu dough is ready. Let us steam the dough on a steamer.
- Add water into steamer and heat it. Place the khichu dough on top for steaming.
- Make few holes in the kichu dough so that it cooks evenly.
- Let the rice khichu dough steam for 7-8 minutes.
- Rice khichu is ready to serve now. Serve this tasty khichu hot along with some oil, red chili powder.