Leftover Dal Pancakes – A super healthy breakfast dish made from leftover dal along with nutritious gluten-free flour.
Let me share a different recipe today. The other day we had a little potluck in our apartment. Everyone bought some homemade dish and we all enjoyed together. I made dal tadka and jeera rice for potluck as I had some work in the evening so could spend little time in cooking. Anyways, I couldn’t anticipated the number of persons who would be joining for potluck. There were last minutes dropouts and so we couldn’t finish the food.
Related: sooji toast for breakfast
So the next morning I thought of making these healthy Indian pancake recipe using leftover dal. I made it even healthier by adding makai atta (corn flour), samolina (sooji) and jowar flour (sorghum). These pancakes are so versatile that you can add any vegetable in it. I have added just the carrot and fresh coriander. However feel free to experiment with the recipe by adding zucchini, bell pepper, sweet corn, etc.
Kids would love these pancakes as they are made in different shapes. I have used simple cookie cutter/molds for giving different shapes to pancakes. If you don’t have cookie cutters then you can simply avoid and make pancakes directly on pan.
Recipe of Leftover Dal Pancakes with step by step picture
Take the leftover dal in a mixing bowl. You can use any kind of daal like dal fry, dal tadka, palak dal etc to make these pancakes.
Add finely chopped carrots in the bowl.
Now add gram flour (besan), corn flour (makai atta), jowar flour (sargaum) and samolina (sooji).
Add salt as per taste. The daal will have salt so add a little less salt.
Using a whisker, whisk all the ingredients and combine to form batter. Add water to change the consistency of bater as required.
Whisk well and make nice runny batter for pancakes.
Add freshly chopped coriander leaves in batter and mix well.
The batter of left over dal and flour is ready.
Heat a skillet or tawa and place cookie cutter on it. Apply some oil inside cookie cutters so that the batter does not stick. Now with the help of ladle pour the leftover dal batter in cookie cutter. Let the pancakes get cooked for 5 minutes.
Now with the help of tong, carefully remove the cutter. Use knife in case the pancake is sticking to sides.
Remove all the molds and let the pancakes get cooked on each side for 2-3 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Flip the pancakes to other side and let them cook.
Delicious pancakes made from leftover dal is ready. Serve these delicious pancakes hot along with coriander chutney of tomato ketchup.
Leftover Dal Pancake Recipe Box
- Leftover Daal : 1 cup
- Carrot : 1/3 cup
- Besan : 1/2 cup
- Maize flour: 1 tbsp
- Jowar flour : 1 tbsp
- Samolina : 1 tbsp
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Water : 1/2 cup
- Fresh corainder: 2 tbsp
- Peel the carrot and finely chop into small pieces. You can also use capsicum if you like.
- Wash and finely chop the fresh coriander (hara dhaniya).
- In a mixing bowl take the leftover dal. Dal can be any available daal like dal fry, dal tadka, palak daal etc.
- Add finely chopped carrots, gram flour, corn flour (makai atta), jowar flour and samolina (sooji).
- Add salt as per taste and with the help of whisker mix well all the ingredients.
- Also add water as required to make smooth runny batter.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya) and mix the batter. Batter is ready for pancakes.
- Grease inner sides of metallic cookie cutter or cookie molds with oil.
- Heat a tawa or skillet and place cookie cutter on top.
- Once the tawa is hot, using a ladle pour the batter in all molds till the pancake is 1/2 or 1 cm thick.
- Cook the pancakes of medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Now using a tong, hold and remove the cookie cutter carefully without breaking the pancakes.
- Let the pancakes get cooked for 1-2 minutes and then flip them over.
- Cook on both sides till they turn golden brown.
- Super healthy and delicious leftover dal pancakes are ready. Serve this pancakes hot with ketchup or chutney.