Paneer Kali Mirch Recipe: Step by step Punjabi paneer kali mirch recipes – A delicious punjabi main course paneer recipe cooked in yummy onion gravy.
Apologies gulz (and guys) for not sharing recipe since a while now. I have shifted to a new country and since past several weeks I was busy in packing and unpacking. Finally things are settling down and hence got some time to share this recipe. Finally I am sharing recipe of paneer kali mirch sabji which I had made a while ago :D. Without further ado, lets check this delicious creamy cottage cheese cooked in tasty onion & black pepper gravy.
Paneer kali mirch recipe is very easy paneer curry that you can make with basic preparations. Compared to other paneer sabjis this recipe is easy. Often you will find this recipe in restaurant menu by name dum paneer kali mirch or paneer kali mirch tikka. Whatever you call it, this homemade kalimirch paneer tastes equally great.
Let us now check the step by step recipe of paneer kali mirch with pictures.
Paneer Kali Mirch Recipe with step by step photo
To make Paneer Kali Mirch we would need cottage cheese (paneer), onions, ghee, oil, curd, garam masala, black pepper powder, coriander powder (dhaniya), cloves (laung), bay leaves (tej patta), cinnamon stick, ginger, garlic, kasuri methi (dry fenugreek) and salt to taste.
In pan heat oil and add chopped ginger and garlic. Cook till the raw flavor of ginger and garlic goes away.
Then add sliced onions and cook till they turns golden brown in color. Keep stirring so that onion cooks evenly.
Once the onion cools down make the puree of onion by grinding it into the smooth paste.
In another pan take ghee (clarified butter) and add the dry spices such as cloves (laung), cardamom (elaichi), bay leaves (tej patta), cinnamon stick (dal chini) and cumin seeds (jeera) and cook for about 1/2 min and then add the onion paste into it.
Mix well the onion paste and other spices and cook for about 1 min.
Now time to add all the Indian spices such as coriander powder, black pepper powder, garam masala and salt to taste.
Stir the mixture and cook for about 1-2 min or till the gravy is cooked well.
Once the gravy is cooked nicely add curd to the mixture and mix well till the curd incorporate with the gravy. For this recipe, I have used normal curd/yogurt and not sour yogurt. Sour yogurt might spoil the taste so try using plain fresh yogurt.
Cook the gravy for about 2-3 min or till the gravy is cooked nicely.
Once the gravy is cook if you want you can again sprinkle some black pepper powder. Or else you can also add freshly grounded black peppercons.
Now add paneer cubes to the gravy and cook for about 2-3 min. For this recipe, I have shallow fried the paneer before adding. But you can also use fresh paneer without frying.
Then crush some kasuri methi between your palm and sprinkle on top of the sabji. Mix well.
Other Punjabi Paneer Sabji Recipes
- Paneer (cottage cheese) : 1 cup, cut into cubes
- Onion : 1 cup, sliced
- Curd (yogurt) : 1/2 cup, whisked
- Black pepper : 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf : 1 piece
- Cinnamon : 1 inch stick
- Green cardamoms: 2 pieces
- Cloves : 2 pieces
- Cumin seeds :1/2 tsp
- Ginger & garlic : 1 tsp paste
- Coriander powder : 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder : 1 tsp
- Kasuri methi : 1 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Ghee : 1 tbsp
- Salt : 1 tbsp or to taste
- Heat oil in pan and add chopped ginger and garlic. Cook for about 1/2 min.
- Then add sliced onion and cook till the onions become light golden brown. Once done let the onion mixture cool for about 5 min.
- Once the onion come to room temperature, grind it in the mixture grinder to a smooth paste.
- In another pan heat ghee and add all dry spices like cloves, cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds and cook for about 1/2 min and then add the onion paste to spices. Cook for about a min.
- Then add Indian spices like coriander powder, black pepper powder, garam masala and salt to taste. Cook for about 2 min or till the gravy is cooked well.
- Add curd to the mixture and mix well till the curd incorporate with the gravy.
- You can sprinkle some black pepper to the gravy.
- Now the gravy is ready. Add paneer to the gravy and mix well the gravy and also sprinkle some kasuri methi.
- Paneer Kali Mirch sabji is ready to serve . Enjoy the delicious kali mirch panner with roti, chappathi, paratha or naan.