Bean Sprout Salad is one of the healthy veg salad which is very rich in protein. The pulses like chickpea, mung bean etc can be sprouted over night and then used to make many healthy dishes. Bean sprout salad is one of my favorite nutritious salad recipe that I make often at home. This salad is perfect for breakfast or for lunch. I normally make this salad for breakfast and serve with fresh orange juice. But today I made the bean sprout salad for lunch accompanied with a tasty swiss potato rösti.
One downside of consuming raw sprout is the potential of bacterial growth. Thus normally one should avoid commercially grown sprouts. If you do a quick stir fry (saute) sprouts for a minute in oil, it should remove the contamination if there is any. I prefer to saute the sprouts in hot oil and mix spices in it for taste.
Whatever might be the case, sprouts are any time a good source of protein for vegetarians. Sprouting also reduce the cooking time of lentils. I often prepare sprouted mung sabzi /sprouted chickpea subzi at home which is a quick and easy recipe jam packed with protein.
Once the green beans/lentils are sprouted, you can store them in refrigerator for later use. Just deep freeze the sprouts in freezer..
Lets check the bean sprout salad recipe now. I have added cucumber, tomato, carrot, onion in this salad. You can add any veggie that you like.
Bean Sprout Salad recipe
1. Soak the lentils (mung, chickpeas, muth lentil) in a water for around 6-8 hours. Remove the water from lentils and keep them aside for another 8-10 hours. By this time the germination process should start and you will see sprouts coming. This stage is crucial and increase the protein level within the beans. Also the bean will soften a bit. Different lentils take different time to sprout.
2. Heat some oil in pan and quickly stir fry the bean sprouts for around a minute. This would remove any bacterial contamination from sprouts if any. Once saute; add some chat masala, black pepper and salt to taste. I love chat masala in this salad 🙂
- Mixed bean sprouts: 1 1/2 cup
- Tomato: 1/3 cup, chopped
- Carrot: 1/3 cup, chopped
- Cucumber: 1/4 cup, chopped
- Onion: 1/2 cup, chopped
- Mint: 10 leaves, chopped
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Chaat masala: 1 tbsp, optional
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Black pepper: 1 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Soak 1/2 cup mixed beans in water for 6-8 hours. Remove the water and keep the beans open for another 10-12 hours.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in pan and saute beans sprouts for a minute. Add chat masala, pepper, salt to taste.Turn off the flame and let it cool for some time.
- Mix all chopped veggies (tomato, onion, cucumber, carrot etc) with bean sprout. Add some lemon juice and mix it well. Bean Sprout Salad is ready to serve.