Bajra raab or bajra ni raab is a traditional warm healthy soup prepared from bajra (pearl millet) & ajwain / carom seeds infused with dry ginger powder. This soup dish is considered very healthy due to the ingredients used and is recommended to nursing mom.
Bajra raab is an effective drink recommended to cure cold and cough. The drink helps in improving immune system and is given to person who feel lost of appetite. Bajra or pearl millet is rich in iron, magnesium, phosphorous and other minerals. Hence this raab drink provides missing nutrition to our body.
This is a healthy raab recipe for new or nursing mothers. After delivery this raab is given to new moms in states of Gujarat and Rajasthan.
Related: Also check Bajra wada recipe.
Let us now check the simple recipe of raab made from pearl millet / bajra.
Step by step recipe of Bajra Raab
To prepare this healthy raab we will use handful of ingredients. Bajra flour (black millet flour), jaggery, ajwain (carom seeds) and dry ginger powder (sooth).
First we will prepare jaggery syrup by heating jaggery in water. Take jaggery in a deep bottom pan and add water.
Heat the jaggery in water untill it starts getting dissolved.
Once the jaggery is completely dissolved we are ready to proceed for next step.
Now to prepare bajra raab, heat some clarified butter (ghee) in a kadhai.
Once the ghee melts add bajra (black millet) flour and ajwain and mix it well. Let the bajra gets cooked in ghee for sometime until the raw flavor is gone. We need to cook bajra for sometime otherwise the raw flour is difficult to digest.
Now pour in the jaggery syrup in bajra and mix again well. Also add some dry ginger powder (soonth).
Let the raab gets cooked for 2 to 3 minutes.
Healthy and tasty Bajra raab is ready. Serve hot or lukewarm.
- Pearl millet flour (bajra): 1 1/2 tbsp
- Carom seeds (ajwain): 1/2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder (soonth): 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Clarified butter (ghee): 1 tsp
- Water: 1 1/2 cup
- In a deep bottom pan take Jaggery (gud) and add water. Heat jaggery until it dissolves completely in water.
- Heat some clarified butter (ghee) in a kadhai.
- Once ghee melts add bajra (pearl millet) and ajwain.
- Let the bajra gets cooked in ghee for sometime.
- Now pour the jaggery syrup on bajra and mix it well.
- Add some dry ginger powder (sooth). Sooth gives really nice flavor to raab.
- Let the bajra raab gets cooked for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bajra raab is ready. Serve it hot or lukewarm.
Leave a Reply