Corn capsicum masala recipe (restaurant style) with step by step pics – A delicious punjabi curry of corn kernels & capsicum cooked in creamy onion & tomato gravy. Wow isn’t that yummylicious!! This curry is a must for sweet corn lovers like me.
Corn capsicum masala is mildly spicy and tasty Indian curry that you will find in almost all Indian restaurant menu. For a vegetarian menu, corn capsicum masala is a must recipe like any other popular paneer dishes. In restaurants the chef make this corn capsicum masala using the brown gravy that they precook and use. However when we are making this curry at home we cannot do that, so I am sharing a recipe that I think will make corn capsicum masala much like the restaurant version. In this punjabi sabji I have added a generous pinch of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) which gives the corn capsicum masala a distinct taste. Also by adding fresh cream or malai we can make the gravy rich.
Corn is a versatile ingredient. We make so many different varieties of dishes using this one ingredient. I have used sweet corn kernels in making a yummy party finger dish called rice & sweet corn bites. Also corn kernels can be used in many Indian main course dishes such as palak corn sabji or sweet corn masala. The simple boiled corn kernels combined with cheese makes a perfect evening snack. And when we combine corn and capsicum together and cook in a yummy punjabi gravy the result is simply amazing.
This corn capsicum masala sabji is easy to make at home once you have done a little preparation. If you are planning to make this sabji for guests for gettogether or parties then I suggest you can boil the corn kernels and puree the tomato before hand. This way you can save a lot of time. Also this corn capsicum masala goes really well not only with chappatis or phulkas but it is a great side dish for vegetable pulao, capsicum pulav or jeera rice too.
Let us get back to the recipe of corn capsicum masala and check the step by step pictures.
Corn Capsicum Masala Sabzi step by steps with pictures
To make this delicious punjabi corn capsicum masala we will need these ingredients: sweet corn kernels, capsicum (simla mirch), onion, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, fresh cream, kasuri methi and dry indian spices. All the ingredients along with their exact quantities are shown in the recipe box at the end of this post.
Take a non stick pan heat oil and once the oil is hot add cumin seeds (jeera) and cook for 1/2 min.
Then add diced onions and cook until onions are translucent.
Once onions are translucent add ginger and garlic paste and cook till rawness goes off.
Add fresh tomato puree to onions and cook for about 2 min.
Cook the tomato puree until it oozes out oil as shown here.
Now add dry Indian spices like red chili powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Give a nice mix.
Let all the spices cook and blend well in the tomato gravy.
Then add the diced capsicum to the tomato gravy and stir to coat in gravy.
Add water to gravy and close the lid of pan and cook for about 3 minutes until the capsicum softens. Do not overcook capsicum as we want that crunchy bite in it.
Now add boiled corn kernels to the sabji and mix well.
Add garam masala powder to the sabji.
Add kasuri methi to the sabji which gives the nice flavor.
Add fresh cream to corn capsicum sabji which gives it nice creamy texture. Give a quick stir and cook for a min.
Corn capsicum masala is ready. Garnish the sabji with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Below is the summary recipe of corn capsicum masala.
Corn Capsicum Masala Recipe Box
- Corn kernels (makai dana) :1/2 cup, boiled
- Capsicum (simla mirch) : 1/3 cup, chopped
- Onion : 1/3 cup, diced
- Tomato : 1/2 cup, puree
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) :1 tsp
- Garlic : 1 tsp
- Ginger : 1 tsp
- Red chili powder : 1 tsp
- Coriander powder : 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/3 tsp
- Cumin powder : 1 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp or to taste
- Water : 1/3 cup
- Kasuri methi : 1 tsp
- Fresh cream : 1 tbsp
- Boil the corn kernels in presser cooker or a pot.
- Chop onions and make dices of capsicum, make the puree of tomatoes.
- Make a paste of ginger and garlic.
- In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds and let them turn golden in color.
- Add the chopped onions and cook for about 1 min or until they become translucent.
- Once onion are cooked add ginger and garlic paste and cook till the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add tomato puree and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes oozes out oil add dry Indian spices like coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to taste.
- Cook till all the masalas blends well with the gravy.
- Add diced capsicum and water, close the lid and cook for about 3 min till the capsicum softens.
- Time to add boiled corn kernels and give a quick stir.
- Then add garam masala, kasuri methi, fresh cream and cook for about 2 min and the sabji is ready.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with roti, paratha or garlic naan.
Other corn sabji recipes similar to Corn Capsicum Masala
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.