Karela Besan Sabzi Recipe – Step by step recipe of bitter gourd curry cooked with gram flour, onion and tomato.
Like many of you I and my dear hubby are not big fan of karela recipes or bitter gourd. Somehow we never developed the taste and liking for this vegetable. However once a while I do prefer to cook karela sabji in different variations. I have already shared bharwa karela recipe with besan.
So today let me share another variation that I cook for lunch – karela besan sabzi. The stuffed karela recipe is quite popular, however its not easy to prepare. As its a bit time consuming, you might wanna try this recipe of karela which is easy and requires no pre preparations.
A lot of people ask how to remove bitterness of karela (bitter gourd). Well, its simple. Cut the bitter gourd and apply salt evenly on its surface and keep aside. Once soaked, squeeze and remove all the bitter juices. Throw away the water. And we are ready to cook the karela sabji.
Recipe of Karela Besan Sabzi with Step by Step pictures
To make this easy karela besan sabji we will need ofcourse the bitter gourd, gram flour (besan), sugar, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, onion, tomatoes, oil, cumin seeds, hing and salt to taste. Check the recipe box at end of this post to know exact quantities of each of these ingredients.
Once properly soaked in salt, the bitter gourd will ooze out water and become soft.
Take a portion of karela in your palm and squeeze between your palms. Squeeze as much as you can. This will help to remove some of the bitterness from karela.
In the below picture you can see water is nicely squeezed out from karela. Now karela is ready for cooking.
Heat oil in a non stick pan, once the oil is hot add cumin seeds and cook for about 30 sec.
Then add hing to the oil.
Now add finely chopped onions to the oil and cook till the onion become soft.
Then add tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes becomes soft.
Add Indian spices such as turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
Mix all the masala well and cook for about 2 min or till all the spices blends well with onion tomato mixture.
Then add the karela to the gravy.
Mix well and cook for about 3-4 min or till the karela cooks well.
We are adding sugar to the sabji to balance the bitter taste of the sabji.
Add basen to the sabji and cook the besan and the keral both are cooked well.
Press the karela with spatula and check if its cooked.
Basen karela sabzi is ready to serve with phulka roti, paratha or will any Indian flat breads.
Karela Besan Sabzi Recipe
- Karela (bitter gourd) : 2 piece
- Onion : 1 piece
- Tomato : 2 piece
- Besan (gram flour) : 1/4 cup
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Hing (asafoetida) : 1/8 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder : 2 tsp
- Red chili powder : 1/2 tsp
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp for curry
- Salt : 3 tsp for soaking
- Peel and cut the bitter gourd in thin slices. Add a little salt to it and keep aside for 20-30 mins.
- Press the bitter gourd between your palm and squeeze out all the water. Keep aside.
- Now in a non stick pan/kadhai heat oil and once the oil is hot put cumin seeds and hing (asafoetida). Cook till cumin turns slight brown.
- Add onions to the oil and cook for about 1 min.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes become soft.
- Now add all Indian spices like coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well all the ingredients and cook for about 2 min.
- Add the kerala, mix well and cook until the kerala is cooked.
- Add sugar to balance the bitterness of the kerala.
- Then add the besan flour to the sabji and cook for about 3-4 min or till the besan and kerala is cooked well.
- Delicious Karela Besan Sabzi is ready to serve. You can serve this with phulka roti, paratha or with any indian flat bread.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.