Gujarati Tikha Gathiya Recipe – A crispy delicious traditional Gujarati savory snack made from chickpea flour.
Gathiya (Gujarati: ગાંઠિયા/ગાંઠીયા) also known as gathiya or ganthiya is popular teatime snack in Gujarat, India. There are different varieties of this snack such as bhavnagari gathiya, papdi gathiya, fafda gathiya, methi gathiya and the list goes on and on. You can buy all these types of ganthiya in different “farsan” or snacks stores. But if you are living abroad and want to try then you have less options. Haldiram has some of the Gujarati snacks that you buy in your local indian grocery stores. Or else try these delicious crispy tikha gathiya (spicy gathiya) which is very easy to make.
So let me share an easy and simple recipe of gujarati tikha gathiya. But wait.. before we jump into the gathiya recipe, we need to talk about the most important kitchen tool that we will need to prepare gathiya – gathiya machine also known as gathiya sancha or sev sancha. It is basically a dough press that is used to prepare gathiya strands. There are different types of these gathiya press machine available in market. You can use any of the machine to make this delicious tikha gathiya recipe.
Related: Gujarati Khandvi Recipe
Now a days this useful tool is easily available all over the world. You can make so many things such as sev, gathiya, chakri and so many other recipes.
You can make spicy tikha gathiya in a big batch and store in air tight container. Just have it with morning tea or evening snack or whenever you feel like having it.
Some tips while making Tikha Gathiya
- While frying, take the gathiya out when oil stops to bubble. This will help avoid getting gathiya brown.
- Once fried, let the gathiya cool down completely. Then store it in air tight container or else it may goes soggy.
- When you start pressing gathiya dough in oil using sancha machine, make sure you do in gentle circular motion and do not overlap it. Otherwise they might tangles and does not get crispier.
Let’s begin the easy step by step recipe of Gujarati tikha ganthiya.
Recipe of Gujarati Tikha Gathiya with steps pictures
To make tikha gathiya we will need gram flour (besan), red chili powder, oil, turmeric powder (haldi), rock salt (kala namak), asafoetida (hing) and salt to taste. That’s it and you can make this yummy crispy snack.
In mixing bowl take gram flour. If you feel your flour has some lumps then always sheave the flour before you use it.
Then in the gram flour add turmeric powder, red chili powder, rock salt (kala namak), hing, oil and salt to taste.
Mix all ingredients well and add water to the flour and knead the dough. Always add water little by little so that your dough does not become watery.
Once the dough is kneaded we can start frying the gathiya. Unlike wheat flour, this dough does not need resting and we can start frying it immediately.
Take oil in a pan for frying and pre-heat it. Check if oil is ready for frying by putting small piece of dough into it. If it sizzles, then it means the oil is ready. Start pressing the gathiya dough using sancha in hot oil and carefully put the strands for frying. Move the machine in a circular motion, as you complete one round stop and turn the handle in the anti clock wise to stop gathiya coming out.
Fry the gathiya for about 2 to 3 min or until it is golden brown in color.
Once the gathiya is golden brown in color, take out using frying spatula.
Let the fried gathiya rest on kitchen towel. Once it cools down, the delicious thika gathiya is ready to serve.
Recipe of Gujarati Tikha Gathiya
- Gram flour : 2 cup
- Oil : 3 tbsp
- Rock salt (Kala namak/Sanchar) : 1/2 tsp
- Water : 1/2 cup
- Red chili powder : 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) : 1/4 tsp
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Oil: 2 cups for frying
- In a mixing bowl take gram flour and all other ingredients such as turmeric powder, hing, oil, black salt, red chili powder and salt to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients well and knead the dough by adding water to the flour.
- Once the dough is kneaded well, put it in the sev machine / gathiya sancha.
- Mean while heat the oil in frying pan. Once the oil is hot, place the machine on top of Kadai and make gathiya by turning the handle of the machine clockwise.
- As you complete one round stop and turn the handle in the anti clock wise to stop gathiya coming out.
- Fry the gathiya for about 2-3 min or till golden brown in color.
- Remove the gathiya and let the extra oil get soaked using paper napkin.
- Crispy tikha gathiya is ready.
Leave a Reply