Achari Baingan Recipe or Pickled aubergine curry recipe – An easy Punjabi sabji made with baingan (aubergine) flavored with spices typically used in indian pickles.
The name Achari Baingan literally means Pickled Eggplant or aubergine. “Achar” means pickle in Hindi. But inspite of its name, in the recipe of achari baingan we have not used pickle of any kind. Instead we use all the spices such as onion seeds (nigela seeds/kalonji), fenugreek seeds, fennel etc. The flavour of this achari baingan sabji is spicy, tangy and has beautiful aroma of pickle spices.
Baingan or aubergine is a native Indian vegetable that is used in most of Indian kitchens. We make baingan in so many different variations. Dishes such as Baingan ka bharta and aloo baingan are most common ones and loved by everyone. I also make few Gujarati version of baingan at home such as baingan palita and baingan papdi sabzi. Kids usually dont like baingan so you can alway innovate and prepare the curry in different way to entice them. This recipe of achaari baingan is one such innovative recipe which you family will definately appriciate.
The recipe of achari baingan has many variations. Some make this curry in curd while some add dry mango powder (amchur) and tomatoes to give a tangy twist. However I am sharing a simplest form of achaari baingan sabji recipe that can be made with minimal spices.
I wanted to share this curry from long time and finally made it on Diwali. This Diwali I made this curry in lunch and served along with phulka roti, kheer, daal and rice. My hubby loved the curry and asked me to make once a week 😀
Let’s now check the step by step recipe of punjabi baingan achaari with images.
Recipe of Achari Baingan with step by step pictures
To make this delicious punjabi achari baingan sabji we need following ingerdients. Around 6-8 small baingan/brinjals, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, finely chopped ginger and garlic (or paste), curry leaves. And we will also need few Indian spices usually used in pickles such as nigela seeds (onion seeds)/kalonji, fenugreek seeds (methi), fennel seeds (saunf). Apart from these spices we will also use some Indian dry spices like turmeric powder and red chili powder. Please refer the recipe box at the end of this post for complete list of ingredients with their quantities.
Wash the baingan/brinjal and cut them into halves. Now heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the baingans until they turn golden brown.
Occasionally flip the baingans so that they cook evenly across both the sides. Once fried, drain the excess oil and take the fried baingan in a bowl.
The baingan are fried now. Let’s prepare the gravy for punjabi achaari baingan sabji.
Now this heat oil in a skillet/pan and once the oil is hot, add grated ginger & garlic (or paste). Saute the ginger garlic for a few seconds.
Add curry leaves (kadi patta) in oil and give a gentle stir.
Now add mustard seeds (rai).
Cook for a minute till the mustard starts spluttering.
Now add fennel seeds (saunf).
Also add nigela seeds / onion seeds (kalonji).
And add fenugreek seeds (methi dana).
Once all the spices are added, give a gentle stir and mix all the ingredients.
Add a pinch of hing (asafoetida).
Now add chopped onions. Mix well and let the onion gets cooked for a minute.
Also add chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cook until the tomatoes softens.
Cook the onion and tomatoes on low to medium flame until they softens.
Now add dry spices like turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and salt.
Mix well and cook dry spices for a minute.
Now add in the fried brinjals (baingan) into tomato onion gravy.
Mix the baingan and coat it into onion tomato pickled gravy. Let the curry gets cooked for a few minutes. The delicious achari baingan sabji is ready to serve.
Achari Baingan Recipe (Indian Pickled Aubergine Curry)
- Brinjals (small): 8 pieces
- Tomatoes: 2 pieces chopped
- Oil : 1 1/2 tbsp
- Ginger (adrakh) : 1 tsp
- Garlic (lahsun) : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves (kadi patta) : 6 leaves
- Red chili powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder (dhaniya): 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder (haldi): 1/4 tsp
- Hing : 1/8 tsp
- Fennel Seeds (saunf) : 1 tsp
- Nigela/Onion Seeds (kalonji) : 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds (rai) : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp or to taste
- Wash the baingan and cut the baingan in two halves.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the baingan till they turn golden brown.
- Once fried, take out the fried baingan into a bowl.
- In a pan/kadhai heat Oil and once the oil is hot add finely chopped ginger and garlic or paste.
- Add curry leaves and other ingredients like hing, saunf, kalonji, methi dana and rai. Saute for about a minute.
- Now add chopped onions and tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Time to add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Mix well all the ingredients.
- Add the fried baingan and cook on low flame until all the ingredients mix well.
- Achari Baingan or baingan achari is ready to serve. Serve this sabji hot with homemade chappati / plain paratha, daal and steamed rice.
Other Punjabi Curry Recipes similar to Achari Baingan
- Rajma Masala Recipe
- Amritsari Chole Recipe
- Palak Aloo Sabzi Recipe
- Corn Palak Recipe
- Lobia Masala Recipe
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.