Home Made Ragda Patties Recipe (Chaat recipe) – Ragda patties although counted as Indian street food is actually a complete meal in itself. Not only it is famous in streets as chaat recipe (thela ragda pattice) but this tasty dish is also served as dinner in many homes.
Like other Indian street food recipes like home made pani puri, sev papdi chaat, dahi paapdi, dahi vada this recipe is easy to make once we do some preparation. It hardly take time to assemble and enjoy this delicious dish.
At my home we often prepare this dish as dinner. Not only that, the left over ragda patties is very much loved the next day as all the spices have blended in ragda making it even more delicious. That’s why I make this recipe in quantity so that we can have this mouth water Indian chaat ragda patties the next day also.
Ragda pattice or ragda patties is very well know in streets of Mumbai where they serve many variations of this dish. Instead of potato patties sometime they also serve Ragda with Samosa making a tasty dish Samosa Ragda. Also you can have bread instead of patties and serve with ragda making bread ragda or paav ragda.
The ragda means “something semi-solid” in hindi / devnagri thus it is not that liquidy. Traditionally ragda is made from dried peas but you can add almost any vegetable like french bean, green peas etc. However the street version is just boiled dried peas tempered in some spices.
As I mentioned earlier this recipe is very easy and hardly take time if you prepare before hand. A little pre planning goes a long way. If you want to make this dish for dinner for guest just make lot of things the day before. For example ragda pattice is flavored with tamarind and dates chutney (khajur imli chutney). So prepare this before hand and refrigerate it for later use. Also the ragda can be prepared in the morning a an evening before. Potato patties can be shaped and kept on stand by. As soon as you are ready to serve, quickly heat the ragda and shallow fry patties.
The fun is to assemble and eat this appetizing dish on dinning table. All the ingredients: the dried pea ragda, potato patties, sev, onion, chutney etc are kept. One by one people start picking them up and assemble in the dish. This dish is best for family and friends get together where we just sit and chat. 🙂
Let me first show the best part of this dish before we check recipe of ragda and patties. Let us assemble this delightful dish of ragda pattice.
Assembling Home Made Ragda Patties
In a serving plate take 4 to 5 aloo patties.
Press gently the aloo patties by hand and flatten it.
Pour 1/2 cup of ragda mixture (dry pea & chana dal gravy) on aloo patties.
Sprinkle a handful of finely chopped onion.
And pour a tbsp of tamarind and dates chutney (khajur imli chutney).
Now sprinkle handful of fried chick pea vermicelli (sev) on ragda patties plate.
Ragda patties is ready. Enjoy the delicious mouth watering Indian street snack.
That tastes even more yummier than it looks. Let us now check the two step process of making ragda patties at home.
1. To make Aloo Patties (Potato Pattice)
Wash the potatoes and boil them in pressure cooker for 5 minutes (or cook till 3 whistles). Let the potato get cools then peel off the skin and keep aside.
Mash the potato and add grated ginger, green chilies, turmeric powder, salt to taste, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix well all the ingredients. Check the seasoning and add salt if required.
Now add chopped green coriander leaves (cilantro) and mix well all ingredients. Take a small lump of potato mix in hand and gently press to make round disc shape patties are shown below.
In a flat non-stick pan heat a tbsp of oil and place 5 to 6 patties. Shallow fry the patties on either sides till they turn golden brown in color.
Aloo patties (potato patties) are now ready. Keep aside in a serving plate.
Aloo patties is ready. You can make them before hand and just heat them on tawa just before serving.
2. To Make Ragda For Ragda Patties
Rinse the dry green peas and chana dal (split bengal gram) thoroughly in water. Soak the dry green peas and chana dal in a bowl for 8 to 10 hours or overnight.
Once the dry green peas are soaked nicely they will double in size.
Drain the excess water from soaked green pea and boil them in a pressure cooker for about 10 minutes till they are well cooked. Some of the pea might be under cooked so check first and if required boil again.
Now to add tempered spices to ragda, heat a tbsp of oil in a deep bottom non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, chopped ginger green chilies and dry red chili. Saute till the cumin seeds turns brown.
Now pour in the boiled green pea and chana dal along with the water.
Add Indian spices to season it up. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt to taste and garam masala powder.
Mix well and let the ragda mixture comes to boil once. Turn off the gas and keep the ragda mixture aside for final assembling as describe in beginning of this article.
If you want to store the left over ragda you can store it in refrigerator for 1 day. Next day just heat the ragda by adding some water as it tends to get thicken up.
Once assembled the ragda patties will look like below photo. It taste just amazing. Do try this recipe at home.
Home made ragda patties recipe details below:
- Dried peas: 1 cup, soaked & boiled
- Chana dal: 1/4 cup
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/3 tsp
- Green chili: 1/2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1/2 tbps, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds (jeera): 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick (dal chini): 1/2 inch
- Cloves (laung): 4 piece
- Dry red chili: 1 piece
- Bay leaf (tej patta): 1 piece
- Salt: to taste
- Potato: 2 cup, boiled & mashed
- Ginger: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Green chili: 1 tbps, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder (dhaniya): 1 tsp
- Cumin powder (jeera powder): 1 tsp
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Coriander (cilantro): 1/2 cup, chopped
- Salt: to taste
- Onion: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Dates tamarind chutney: 1 cup
- Sev (Fried chickpea vermicelli): 1 cup
- Rinse 1 cup of dried green peas and 1/4 cup of chana dal (split bengal gram) thoroughly and soak in water for 8-10 hours/overnight.
- Next day the dried green pea should double in size.
- Strain the excess water from soaked pea and chana dal.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the soaked pea and chana dal for 10 min.
- Let the pressure cooker cools down and check if peas are properly cooked. Cook again if required.
- Wash the green chilies, peel off the ginger skin and finely chop.
- In a deep bottom non-stick pan heat a tbsp of oil.
- Once oil is hot add cumin seeds (jeera), asafoetida (hing), chopped green chili, ginger, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and dry red chili.
- Saute for a while till cumin seeds turns brown.
- Pour in the boiled pea and chana dal.
- Now add remaining spices: red chili powder, turmeric powder (haldi) and garam masala powder.
- Season with salt as per taste.
- Mix all ingredients and let ragda comes to boil. Turn off the gas.
- Boil the potato in pressure cooker for 5 mins. Let them cool and remove the skin.
- Mash the boiled potato and add salt to taste, turmeric powder, grated ginger and green chilies, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix all ingredients well. Taste to check the seasoning. If required add more salt and mix again.
- Add chopped green coriander leaves (cilantro) and mix.
- Take a lump of meshed potato in hand and press into round disc shaped patties.
- Repeat above step and make potato patties till the mixture is exhausted.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in pan and place one by one potato patties in it.
- Shallow fry the potato patties on both sides till they turns golden brown.
- Keep the fried patties on paper towel to drain excess of oil.
- In a serving plate take 3 to 4 potato patties and press gently by hand to flatten it.
- Pour 1/2 cup of ragda mix (dry green pea gravy) on aloo patties.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 tbsp of finely chopped onion.
- Now pour 1 tbsp of dates & tamarind chutney (khajur imli chutney).
- Sprinkle some sev (fried chickpea vermicelli) on ragda patties dish and serve hot.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.