Cabbage Beans Poriyal recipe is yet another quick and easy South Indian recipe of poriyal. This side dish is a must in any typical South Indian meal. Poriyals as they are called in Tamil Nadu have different names in different region of India. For example in Kannada it is called Palya and in Telugu: Porutu.
Poriyal is usually made by giving a quick stir fry to any seasonal vegetable. You can make so many different varieties of Poriyals everyday. Potato poriyal, french beans poriyal, okra (bhindi) poriyal, tindli poriyal are just a few of many varieties of this simple dish.
I have prepared a simple yet tasty Poriyal recipe today with Cabbage and Green beans. The main ingredient is Cabbage. Green beans are added just to give color to this plain poriyal. Cabbage poriyal is very well know across India. This recipe goes really well with different Rice preparations. For example in below image I am serving Cabbage beans poriyal with plain boiled rice, South Indian Rasam and appalam.
Let us check the quick and easy South Indian Cabbage Beans Poriyal recipe.
Step by step South Indian Cabbage Beans Poriyal Recipe
As for the other Poriyal recipes, this Cabbage Beans Poriyal recipe requires very few ingredients. Finely chop the cabbage and green beans. Also we need some grated coconut for garnishing.
1. We need to semi-boil the vegetables in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. As we are going to stir fry the vegetables we need them a little pre cooked. Also when semi-boiling the cabbage and green beans add some salt to reduce the cooking time. Once the cabbage and beans are cooked, strain the water and keep the vegetables aside.
2. Now we will stir fry cabbage and green bean. Before that we will temper the spices in a pan. For that take a teaspoon of oil in pan and heat it. Now add mustard seeds (rai) and let them crackle. Once mustard seed is tempered add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and sliced green chilies. If you don’t like your Poriyal to be hot, de-seeds the green chili before adding them in oil. The heat is in seeds so remove seeds if you want.
3. Once the spices are tempered, add semi-boiled and chopped cabbage and beans. Season with some turmeric powder (haldi) and salt to taste. Mix everything well and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cabbage (patta gobi) : 2 cup, finely chopped
- Green beans: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Coconut: 1/4 cup, grated
- Green chili: 2, sliced
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing): 1/4 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Finely chop the cabbage and green beans (french beans).
- Half boil the vegetables in water for 3-4 minutes. Add some salt in the vegetables while they are boiling.
- Once the cabbage and green beans are boiled remove the excess water and keep the vegges aside.
- In a pan heat some oil and temper mustard seeds. Once the seeds crackles add pinch of asafoetida (hing) and green chilies.
- Now add boiled cabbage and green beans, turmeric powder and salt to taste and mix it well. Let the vegetables get cooked for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cabbage green beans poriyal is ready. Garnish it with grated coconut.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.