Aloo Parval Sabzi recipe is a curry dish made from potato and parwal also known as parval, potol, parol, paror, pointed gourd. There are so many names of this vegetable due to its availablitiy in different Indian states. It is also called Green potato due to its similarity with potato in taste. Parwal is commonly cultivated in Eastern states and some Northern states of India.
This is a dry aloo parval sabzi made by stir frying onion, tomato with potato and parval. We eat parval almost every week. I often cook vegetables like Parwal, Bhindi (Okra), French beans, Baingan (Aubergine) etc in my weekly lunch menu as they are commonly available in local market.
We can make lot of different recipes using parval. Its a versatile vegetable like potato but quite under used and less famous. I will share Bharva parval recipe using parval as soon as I have some time. It tastes amazing.
Let us now check the recipe of dry aloo parval sabzi with step by step images.
Step by step recipe of Dry Aloo Parval Sabzi
First rinse the Parval in water and peel off its skin using knife. Now cut the parval in half vertically as shown below and remove the seeds from it. Clean all the parval like this and then start cutting them up and make slices.
Similarly cut the potato in slices. Also cut onions in long slices and chop the tomatoes as shown in below image.
Let us start with stir frying the vegetables. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan and add cumin seeds (jeera) and mustard seeds (rai). Let the seeds gets crackled.
Once the seeds starts crackling add sliced onions. Cook the only for a minute till they become soft.
Once the onions turn soft add chopped tomatoes.
Cook the tomatoes until they become soft.
Now add sliced potato and parval. Both parwal and potato takes almost same time to cook hence we are adding them together.
Mix well the vegetables in sabji and cook for a minute.
Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Salt accelerates the cooking process by making potato cook faster.
Let salt and turmeric powder mix well with aloo parval sabzi and cook for a minute.
Let us add the powdered spices in this dry aloo parwal sabzi. Add red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. As you can see we are adding just the basic spices in this sabzi.
Mix all the spices in sabzi and cover the lid of pan. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes till parwal and aloo are properly cooked.
Tasty aloo and parwal sabzi is ready to serve.
- Parwal (snake gourd): 2 cups
- Potato: 1 cups
- Onion: 1/2 cup, sliced
- Tomato: 1/2 cup, chopped
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp or to taste
- Rinse the Parval thoroughly in water and remove its skin. Cut Parval into slices. Do the same with potato.
- Also cut the onions in slices and chop tomatoes into pieces.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add cumin seeds (jeera) and mustard seeds (rai). Let them flutters.
- Once the mustard seeds starts crackling add Onion slices and saute them for a minute till they become translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and mix it well. Let the tomatoes get cooked for a minute.
- Throw in sliced Parval and potato. Again mix it well and let the potatoes get cooked for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Stir and mix the spices with sabji.
- Also add red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder in Parval sabzi and give a stir.
- Cover the lid and let the spices gets cooked for 3 to 4 minutes till potato gets soften.
- Aloo Parval Sabzi is ready now. Serve it hot with chapati, fulkas or roti and butter milk.
If you are looking for more sabzi recipes then do check out: aloo gobi matar, sev tamatar, aloo palak, aloo green beans, rajma masala recipe etc.
Install Free Android App
Get new recipes via Email. Enter your email address.